Question for the experts...

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can anyone clarify the differences between a spiderling, juvinile and a subadult tarantula? When is a "sling" no longer a "sling" ?

I've done a few searches and realize that a generic legspan measurement is not a good gauge (different T's with different adult legspan expectations) And that instar is a better estimation of age. But, I don't know what instar my T's were when I purchased them....never thought to ask.

So I was thinking. does any one have imput as far as % goes. Example I have a Cyriopagopus sp. blue that measures 3", estimated adult legspan of 9" (according to most) so that would be 1/3 the size of adult or about 33%. So where does this T fall?

Or am I being silly and complicated?

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can anyone clarify the differences between a spiderling, juvinile and a subadult tarantula? When is a "sling" no longer a "sling" ?

I've done a few searches and realize that a generic legspan measurement is not a good gauge (different T's with different adult legspan expectations) And that instar is a better estimation of age. But, I don't know what instar my T's were when I purchased them....never thought to ask.

So I was thinking. does any one have imput as far as % goes. Example I have a Cyriopagopus sp. blue that measures 3", estimated adult legspan of 9" (according to most) so that would be 1/3 the size of adult or about 33%. So where does this T fall?

Or am I being silly and complicated?
I'd say your Cyriopagopus sp. blue is a juvinile .anything under 2" is a sling..and adult would be full size.but i'm no expert.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, the 2 inch mark is not that accurate (if you have Cyriocosmus:rolleyes: )

Personnaly, I go this way:
Sling: Devoid of the species tipical colors
Juvie: Starts showing the adult colors, yet still small.
Sub adult: About 3/4 of their max LS
Adult: Males get their mature look/hooks etc. The animal shows it's definitive appearance.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm no expert but this is how i judge it.

Spiderling = After a moult from Nymph 2 (or Nymph 3 for some pokies) you have a spiderling.

Juvenile = when a spiderling starts to show adult colours.

Subadult = a couple of moults from mature.

Adult = mature spider. Male with hooks, female able to mate and reproduce.

Everything though is subjective and open to interpretation (Except spiderling and mature male i'd say..)