Question for the experienced breeders

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Curious as to the earliest youve paired a female after a molt. Ive always gone with the conventional method and waited to attempt personally, but ive been told by multiple people there is large success (especially in Europe with Poecilotheria) by introducing a MM right after a molt... with a female still soft. Ive read this is when theyre also most fertile.

Im asking because i recently picked up a diversipes pair and the female molted around 2 months ago.
Theyve been cohabbed since Sunday and im assuming pairing has happened. I was on my way to take him out, only to discover the female is in mid molt while hes in with her still.

She's almost completely free right now and i aim to just leave him in with her to do his thing while she cant try to eat him. This may back fire, but it also may not.

Can anybody more experienced in this give me their insight? 20170607_171528.jpg 20170607_172026.jpg 20170607_173203.jpg 20170607_185500.jpg 20170607_172026.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
IMO, the best time to pair is 30-60 days after molting...30-45 days is generally what I shoot for.

Michael Jacobi outlined his best success with regards to pokies, and he also pairs 30-45 days after molting, then offers a month of cool down before increasing temps and moisture.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This female in particular only molted 2 months ago. Im under the impression a males presence triggered her to molt again.

I think im going to try something new and just let the male stay in with her. Theyve got along very well the past 3 days. I heard a ton of rustling around at nite, and have seen remnants of spermwebs on the ground. Theyve also been "holding hands".

Im wondering if she double molted to become more fertile?

Ive had slings double molt, but never an adult

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I prefer to wait thirty or so days depending on species and age.If they are still young and molting frequently I go for it on day thirty.. If it's a female molting once a year or more I don't mind waiting up to two months to pair her.

However I can speak on this slightly..

I had bred my C.versicolor about two months after she molted.. She molted out about two months later...luckily I still had the male.. He was old when I recieved him.. Right around 6-7 months mature..
Knowing he was on borrowed time I only let her harden for ten days before I paired them again.. It went smooth and I kept him in there untill she ate him..

That was maybe four months ago possibly longer and I don't think I'm getting a sac.. I'm pretty sure he was infertile by the time I received him.

I would be kind of afraid that she would get hurt if mating took place before she had a chance to harden up atleast a little.. Who knows maybe instinctively the male won't try to breed her untill she has had time to harden up.
I had a rather large male A.avic literally toss the female off the side of the enclosure once while lifting her for the insert.. If that happens with your girl before she hardens up it could be pretty ugly..

It will be interesting to see what you observe if you leave him in there though.. Good luck with the pairing.

Last edited: