Question for scorpion breeders

Nick

Arachnopeon
Question: is there way to tell which 2nd instar(s) are going to grow up to be the strongest and over all best?
Is it as easy as just looking at them and knowing the biggest one is the best? and the smallest looking one the weakest? :?

This is my first Pandinus imperator brood! (yay) and would like to know more from someone with experience.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Going for size is probably your best and most reliable indicator of health. I wouldn't say it should be the only thing. It could mean males grow faster. I'm not sure if thats true as females can somtimes require an extra instar to mature.

The problem is that so many things effect size and growth. Food, temps ect.. I've had a single Rhopalurus junceus baby at 4i while all of it's brood mates were still 2i. Maybe it got more food,I kind of dought this as they all had the same feeding schedule, or it might be some sort of genetic factor that makes sence for different siblings to mature at different times. Hard to tell. Probably a bunch of different factors.