question for photography guys on here

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They might be refurbished, which does knock a considerable chunk off the price. However they don't explicitly say so, which I would think would be required.

Their price for a Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm lens, which a year ago cost me $1300, is only $679 on their site. Which B&H's price is $1010, which makes more sense as far as depreciation goes.

Unless they are a wholesaler and provide cameras to different retailers and thus have a lower price they can pass off to the consumer. If they're legit, it's a damn good price I'd think.

If you decide to bite, be sure to let us know how it goes. I've been looking for a better lens for mine for a while, but not eager on shelling out $400-600 for a lens.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More than likely they are a gray market dealer and are not manufacturer authorized. If they are you may have problems with any type of warranty work should you ever need it.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i was concerned that mabey they were greymarket.that means there not the usa models right?it just seems shadey to me i dunno.im thinking of callin them up and doing some more research.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Let me guess... operating out of Brooklyn?

Brooklyn camera scam shops have been around for years. You place an order, and they then email you asking you to "call and confirm", which is bogus, because when they get you on the phone, there's no legit questions about your order, only an abusive up-sell to try to get you to buy accessories or a legitimate warranty. If you say "no thanks", they tell you your item is on backorder and they take their sweet time if they ever ship it at all... they expect you to call eventually and cancel your order, which is what most astute people do in the end.

I would never, EVER buy from any online camera dealer operating out of Brooklyn/NYC except for B&H.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am highly suspicious of excessively low prices being offered on any merchandise including cameras.
I bought a lower priced camera at a discount price 2 years ago and it turned out to be remanufactured.
It worked fine but it was not brand new.:mad:
Last year, I bought my D40x from Circuit City so if I had decided to return it.
I could have walked right back into the store the next day and made them take it back. Sometimes
paying a bit more with a "live buy" can save you the heartbreak of dealing long distance and being put
on "eternal hold".:D :D :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would never, EVER buy from any online camera dealer operating out of Brooklyn/NYC except for B&H.
I can't comment on other dealers in Brooklyn but I can say that I have dealt with B&H in the past and have always been very satisfied with their service. They have also been very quick with delivery.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah it seems B&H is one of the more trusted sites.i think i will most likely be going thru them for all my gear.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
can anyone else actually reccomend any more sites that are good to buy cameras from?im looking to get a nikon d40X.preferable a kit that comes with the nikon lens and a memory card

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, been reading that scamming company's horror reviews. How are these crooks still on business after all the BBB complaints and reports to the NY general attorney!? :wall:

Chris, have you checked Amazon? Their prices are very competitive and give you a wide range of sellers and good offers. I've made several purchases through Amazon sellers and have never had a problem. I do know a friend of mine that had some delay with a few books that were shipped late and once the Amazon management saw the bad review left for the seller, she was immediately contacted by the Amazon management. They were very diligent attending her complaint so they take their reputation very seriously and monitor their sellers transactions. I'd also check good 'ol Walmart or Best Buy's websites for the special online prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000NOEDGK/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1206662524&sr=1-1

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want a good deal on a digital camera, I highly recommend these two businesses:

Beach Camera ( www.beachcamera.com )

Cameta Camera ( www.cameta.com , but they sell on eBay )

I have done business with both of them, and they are absolutely TOP NOTCH and reputable, with great pricing as well.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We got our D80 from Amazon. It was cheaper than through everywhere else we looked with the lens I wanted and came with the better memory card bundled.