Question for all Smeringurus Mesaensis owners: Are Dune Scorpions good pets

tarantulalover9

Arachnopeon
I'm getting a Dune Scorpion ( Smeringurus Mesaensis ) and I was wondering if it was a good pet to have and if they where docile oh and 1 more thing do they use their stinger unlike Emps when it comes to eating

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe they are rather aggressive, as they are rather quick and non-tolerant of other scorpions...they would subdue prey using the stinger. You may want to check out The Scorpion Files, they may have more information...Manny Rubio's book, Scorpions, also has some good general information on this species, to name one thing.;)

tarantulalover9

Arachnopeon
YESSS!!! it's agressive AND it uses it's stinger that is just like telling a little kid that he's getting a puppy for christmas :)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What is a good pet to you?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think Michiel might have also been hinting at the fact that it is your choice whether "Dune scorpions" (Smeringurus spp.) are good pets, not ours. Why would you be asking us if it is a good pet if you are thinking about getting one?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So you wan't a docile and stinghappy scorpion:rolleyes::confused:

These traits don't mix well n'est pas?

If you want scorpions, not too venomous, that sting there prey, get the US Centruroides species....

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When dealing with scorpions I play a magical game called don't touch it. Then it doesn't matter how aggressive and venomous they are (as long as escape-proof housing is used).

tarantulalover9

Arachnopeon
Question for all Smeringurus Mesaensis owners

I'm getting a Dune Scorpion (Smeringurus Mesaensis) for my birthday and I want to know all the basics to own one. :)

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please check out Manny Rubio's book...it will help with many questions you have, on this species and any other basic information. The book is rather inexpensive and very informative.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep them on sand. they may like some added heat but it is probably not needed. Give them water every now and them. I'm just guessing, I've never really kept te species before. This is how I keep most of my native species.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's a desert, I'd use sand or a mixture of high % sand to peat/coco (make the substrate fairly deep). I would provide a small bottlecap water dish with some gravel in it and something for them to make a scrape or burrow under.

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. - They are tolerant of temps as well, I'd give anywhere between 84-90 on the hot end and anywhere from 74-80 on the cool!

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A loose, sandy soil is probably best for the substrate, rather deep too...