Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Question about Webbing - Please Help

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Flashback, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Flashback

Flashback Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Hey all, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but had a question & hope someone can help.

I have an A. chalcodes who (post molt) webbed / webs the enclosure quite well...(Before the molt, she only webbed lightly every now & then)

My question is what are webs for & why do they (terrestrials) specifically web? If it isn't to catch food, is it OK to remove the webbing?

For now, I've left them as is because I don't want to disturb her or what she's made, & figure there must be a reason, but when I drop crickets in the enclosure, they don't roam & tend to stay in behind webs & she doesn't find them as quick. Also when I also have to change the water, clean the dish the webs are in the way, so I inadvertently end up pulling portions out anyway.

Are the webs important & serve enough of a purpose that I should just leave everything as is? Or is it ok to remove some or all of them?

2. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron

Leave it as is.

There is no reason to do any cleaning beyond changing out water and picking up prey remains (it's also okay if you don't pick up every single dead feeder).

The webbing is used (to a degree) for detecting prey, also, when she walks around, she can tell that nothing has been in her cage except for her (familiar smells and all. The pedipalps have chemoreceptors on them so they smell/taste the surfaces they touch with the palps). They'll also kick hairs on their webbing to deter other animals (potential predators) from walking in their yard. Familiar smells and all that. Constantly removing her webbing wouldn't do anything but stress her out, but it's okay if you have to remove some to get to the water dish. It is best to disturb the enclosure as little as possible. Many keepers find joy in seeing what Ts do with their enclosures, it's one of the fun things about having a tarantula.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Flashback

Flashback Arachnosquire

Thanks for that info! I learn something new everyday here :)

4. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoprince Active Member

I agree with @Mirandarachnid. Just wait till you get something that really webs stuff up though, like Pterinochilus sp....

Thanks,

Arthroverts

5. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

May we see a photo of your tarantula to see if she is actually a ‘he’? Males web and wander a lot.

6. Flashback

Flashback Arachnosquire

3D873AF1-3383-4E39-9FEF-06DD6EDF3993.jpeg 5C31A19D-2733-41AD-B57B-EC6B0DF4A077.jpeg I thought that at first, but everyone has said the T isn’t a mature male. All the webbing happened after the molt, but I also waited 3 weeks before feeding, so I thought it was related to her being hungry.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2019
  7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

It's a mystery of science, Nobel prize winners haven't figured it out yet, don't feel bad. :troll:

I suggest you read the forum and simple google the net to learn more about spider silk. Also, look at field pictures of tarantula burrows, use some critical thinking to gain insight.

LEAVE IT ALONE---- WHY do you think your T needs human help??????????????

All they need us for is feeding/watering- nothing more!!

BTW, no matter how dense webbing is, a T can break through its own webbing just in case you haven't figured that out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.