Question about Suntigers Webbing

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I was wondering. My Suntiger made a pretty big tube web and it is only 2". It seems to have packed the web with alot of dirt. Just wondering if anyone elses suntiger has done this? I thought maybe she constructed the web on the ground and then brought it up so that the dirt was just attached but I was watching her build her web for awhile and then I had to leave so when I got back she had put more dirt into the nice new clean web that she had just built.

TheDon

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nevermind, I looked them up. My bad...

Ernie

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Just to make it 100% clear its a P. Irminia just incase anyone else need to look it up

TheDon

oh and p.s dont worry about it I dont know half of the species of T's out there

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Suntiger is only about 1/2", andit's built a large tube web which it covered with dirt too. Apparently Trinidad Chevrons do this as well.

It works as camouflage.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I posted this back in december, to show what kind of webbing my P. irminia had done. This started out a rather plain cork glued to the side, 1 inch of substrate or so on the ground, and within days became the "Hotel Dirt" that you see in the picture. He/she moved ALL the substrate into the web.. the ground is bare plastic...

Bill

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
wow thats crazy... I hope mine leaves the dirt where it belongs or atleast most of it... and I am praying it doesnt attach the web to the lid... anyways thank u for the replies... I was really curious about it but it makes sense.

TheDon

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
That's my favorite part about them :)

Mine's left the lid alone for the most part.. I think in the beginning it had done some minor webbing there, but now it never goes near the lid. The dirt hotel makes feeding an arboreal easier too.. dumb crickets seem to walk right into trouble..

Bill

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by conipto
.. dumb crickets seem to walk right into trouble..
Dumb crickets .... but smart spider. I wonder if this behaviour is actualy related to prey capture or to something else?

Cheers,
Dave

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My irminia also does the dirt tube web thing, the tube extends into the substrate all the way to the botton of the container. The crickets walk up the dirt on the outside of the tube and in a flash the spider is out and pulling the cricket into the tube.

Andy