question about springtails

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi i have a population explosion of spring tails in one of my tanks the spider in this tank is about to molt and i know from reading on the boards here that spring tails are relatively harmless and mabye even beneficial but in very large numbers iam wondering if they may be stressful to the spider when it molts i also have read on here they may help control mold i have in another tank some kind on fungus or mushroom that looks like what we used to call puff balls as a kid but theres this nasty looking black dusty powder looking mold starting to grow on them has any one ever seen anything like this i wondering if i should clean both tanks out or maby put some of the spring tails in with the nasty looking mold and see if they would eat it any thoughts thanks chris..

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like you have way too much moisture in your tanks. I'm assuming that a springtail is some sort of insect?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would try the springtails. It's easier on both you and the T if you didn't have to change the substrate. If it doesn't work, at least you tried. Dry out your tank a little bit too.

Keep us posted !

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks guys i don,t necessarily think its because of the tanks being kept to moist but more to do with unsterilized wood and plant material i did put some spring tails in the other tank but i think i may just clean them out thanks again chris..

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
springtails are great - they keep the tanks clean and do normally not bother the ts. if there are really a lot of springtails, just let the top layer of substrate dry out. they will retreat to the lower regions - still doing their cleaning job without bothering the t. but be really sure they are springtails, it could be other insects!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree I readly welcome springtails. I have never seen any harm by having them in a T tank. One time I remember there being a dense population of them and they made my T pace a bit, but I did as Alice said and let the tank dry out some and they stayed by the water dish and moved deeper.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes i agree with you guys about the spring tails i,ll make sure i don,t get rid of them all but iam gonna get rid of the nasty looking black mold or whatever it is chris...