Question about sponges

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have always wondered why petshops generally think that tarantulas don't drink straight out of a water dish but, instead, would drink out of sponges. What gives them the idea?

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
it started along time ago from what i heard lam is when shipped to them they have a sponge with them so the petstores think thats how they drink and thats how all that nonsense sponge theory became-jason

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would think that the cotton ball is just an extension of the sponge myth.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think the underlying reason is that your average bald ape thinks that spiders use their fangs to suck up everything. Now, where this incorrect idea got transmuted into needing a sponge to drink is beyond my ken, but I guess the 'shipping with sponges' theory is as good as any.

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
At one of the local petshops around here, the manager said that their supplier of T's tells them that the spiders can drink from the sponge. I got them to change to water dishes, and when the sponges came out they were bone dry anyways. Don't see how they would expect the T to drink from that.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dont know, i use a bit of sponge as a water holder for spiderlings though. Just change it every 3-4 days and all is good. Keeping a steady water droplet for them to drink from isn't very efficient.

dont forgot that it's easier to keep a sponge wet than to keep a waterdish full due to the evaporation, meaning less work for pet store people

maybe thats why?

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
I think it's just stupidity on the pet shops part. One of the reptile guys was telling me about when they first started gettign them and put them all in one tank, with no barriers. They would coma back tomorrow and there would be only 1 left, Kinda sad how they keep the T's there.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by TypeO-
I think it's just stupidity on the pet shops part. One of the reptile guys was telling me about when they first started gettign them and put them all in one tank, with no barriers. They would coma back tomorrow and there would be only 1 left, Kinda sad how they keep the T's there.
I think it is reasonable to expect the average joe to know at least the fact that spiders do cannibalize.

TypeO-

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by lam
I think it is reasonable to expect the average joe to know at least the fact that spiders do cannibalize.
That's what I would have thought too, apparently it's not the case here. They eventually have the tanks set up to where they have their own individual section, but it's still kind of a lousy set-up. At least I got them to change the sponges to water dishes.