Question about orchid mantis care

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If all goes well i should have a few orchid mantis by weeks end.

I'm curious if they have highly specialized requirements. I've have a few European mantids off and on thru the years but this will be the first time having a species i didn't collect in the wild.

So basically... anything special i should know, or is it just put them in a tall tank with plenty of climbs and that's all?

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they need very specilise humidity and temps, check it out on google. That will tell you all.

:D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mantids in general benefit from high ventilation, and are prone to die off in poorly ventilated containers, at least this has been my experience. I have not kept orchid mantids myself, but from what I've read they are especially prone to this (this is the main reason I've avoided them and stuck with easier to raise species). I've found mantids live much, much longer as adults when kept in fully screened cages.

Interestingly, the adult orchids are said to be the most vulnerable to this problem. Many have raised nymphs all the way to adulthood, only to have them drop dead a few days after the final molt, unless kept in a screen cage.

Wade

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congratulations man, that's really cool, those mantids are beautiful! :clap:

Are you planning to breed them? ;)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mantidforum.com is a good spot for questions regarding mantid husbandry

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations man, that's really cool, those mantids are beautiful! :clap:

Are you planning to breed them? ;)
I've go no plans or hopes of breeding. It'd be great if it happens, though.

I'll check out the link posted to get more info. Thanks padkison.

and thanks for the info you relayed Wade.

if at all possible, I'll post pics when i get them.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know about Orchid mantids, but I do know that a Giant Indian mantis lived quite a few happy months after its ultimate molt (which was difficult and disfigured the mantis a bit) when it was left free range on a potted palm tree inside my fiance's appartment.

If your Orchid mantis isn't much of a wanderer, this could work out for you. :)