Question about oligoxystre diamantinensis speed

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Hi i've owned my oligoxystre diamantinensis for about 6 months now and for the first time i just saw her run at full speed around the tank, multiple times. It was so quick I was in shock that it could move that fast it was almost invisible! is this normal and why would the tarantula be runningaround the enclosure? it scared me how fast she moved

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
is this normal and why would the tarantula be runningaround the enclosure? it scared me how fast she moved
Did something startle her? Mine ran around frantically while I tried to move him into his new enclosure, but now that he has settled down, he just retreats farther into his web when startled.

Last edited:

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Did something startle her? Mine was ran around frantically while I tried to move him into his new enclosure, but once he settled down, he just retreats farther into his web when startled.
Nope i was watching from afar and she was darting around so fast I didn't know they could move as fast as it did

Wiscokid

Arachnopeon
I think ours is as fast or faster than our psalmopeus ....

more of a 'freak out and run for a second' then most we have too

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is this normal and why would the tarantula be runningaround the enclosure? it scared me how fast she moved
If startled quite normal. It helps to do more research on the species you get so you aren't surprised. Doing said research minimizes mistakes that lead to death and injury.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Has your T been exposed to anything that promotes speed on the television? Perhaps you where watching a race of some kind and your T picked up this bad behavior from watching this....
Im joking of course but I do hope it's just being a weirdo or something.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I became a temporary climbing frame for the D diamantinensis I had, Once while doing a routine feeding mine was nowhere to be seen then in the blink of an eye it bolted from his hide to under my armpit. I was in shock at the speed and I just stood there waiting for a bite that never came , I don't know how fast they are compared to say Psalmopoeus or tappi but they've got be up there

Wiscokid

Arachnopeon
I became a temporary climbing frame for the D diamantinensis I had, Once while doing a routine feeding mine was nowhere to be seen then in the blink of an eye it bolted from his hide to under my armpit. I was in shock at the speed and I just stood there waiting for a bite that never came , I don't know how fast they are compared to say Psalmopoeus or tappi but they've got be up there
I'd say less likely to bolt up ur tongs then psalmopoeus but just as fast as far as I have seen ...