Question about my H. vonwirthi

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I change my T's dirt when it gets moldy and there's fruitflies. So this has happened but I'm not sure if I want to change the dirt. You see, she webbed herself in her burrow, and I think she might molt soon. So should I take the risk of changing her dirt and possibly intruding on her molt? or are the mold and fruitflies dangerous to her? Should I just wait? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it were me, I would leave it alone and just remove all the mold and insects as best I could. Good luck.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, alright. I'll see what I can do. thanks for the advice

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I change my T's dirt when it gets moldy and there's fruitflies. So this has happened but I'm not sure if I want to change the dirt. You see, she webbed herself in her burrow, and I think she might molt soon. So should I take the risk of changing her dirt and possibly intruding on her molt? or are the mold and fruitflies dangerous to her? Should I just wait? Any suggestions are appreciated.
I would just try to eliminate the possibility of moldy fruit flies.:)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If your substrate is molding and you have gnats, then you either are keeping it too humid, or do not have adequate ventilation. You shouldn't have to change out substrate for years, if ever. Changing the substrate is stressful to a T and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary IMO.

Remove the mold and whatever the gnats are attracted to(most likely bolus/ uneaten prey, or decomposing plant matter); then dry out the top layer. Since she is down in a burrow, she should be humid enough to molt just fine.