Question about my G. pulchra

avhall

Arachnopeon
Hello. I have a juvenile G. pulchra that I got about 5 days ago, as expected it’s went and buried itself in its hide and closed off the entrance. I know this is normal but I’m wondering if I should still try and offer food at this time or wait and it will open the entrance back up or come out a bit when it’s hungry? I realize this may be a silly question to more experienced collectors but I’m new to the hobby so please bare with me as I figure things out lol. Thanks in advance!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If it has buried itself and blocked off or close its entrance then it's best if you just leave it alone. G. pulchra are known for growing slow and known for going very long periods without food, so fasting is to be expected. Even if you don't see it, I wouldn't worry too much as it'll come out of it's hide or burrow when it wants too.

avhall

Arachnopeon
If it has buried itself and blocked off or close its entrance then it's best if you just leave it alone. G. pulchra are known for growing slow and known for going very long periods without food, so fasting is to be expected. Even if you don't see it, I wouldn't worry too much as it'll come out of it's hide or burrow when it wants too.
Thank you so much! That’s pretty much what I assumed but wanted to ask and be sure. I appreciate it!

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
I purchased my G pulchra in early February, by the end of February he was burrowed and closed up shop.
I still offered food, once a month just in case.(I'm only human!) He ate the second time I offered him a cricket about 1-1.5 months later, then I saw pre molt take over through the window he left me.
He just came back above ground the end of May. Luckily I have other tarantulas to keep me occupied.
Make sure it has access to water, and be ready for a tank of dirt for some time.

Best of luck!

avhall

Arachnopeon
I purchased my G pulchra in early February, by the end of February he was burrowed and closed up shop.
I still offered food, once a month just in case.(I'm only human!) He ate the second time I offered him a cricket about 1-1.5 months later, then I saw pre molt take over through the window he left me.
He just came back above ground the end of May. Luckily I have other tarantulas to keep me occupied.
Make sure it has access to water, and be ready for a tank of dirt for some time.

Best of luck!
Thank you, that makes me feel better

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Sometimes they'll come out and explore at night then seal it back up by morning. You can place a couple little dry leaves or small pieces of moss on the entrance of the burrow to see if they get moved overnight. If you don't see evidence that it has come out of the burrow for several weeks, wet the substrate down near the burrow entrance just enough for a few drops to seep into the burrow for it to drink. Do this about once a month until it comes out and you'll be good. Feeding is not a priority, but making sure the sling doesn't become dehydrated is something you need to pay attention to.

gregor

Arachnopeon
I offer food to my slings every week, unless i see that they are in premolt.
Just put a little piece of prekilled mealworm or small cricket near its burrov. And just remove it in a day or two if not being eaten.
Just make sure, that they dont dehidrate. Pour some water droplets around burrov and they should be fine

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Could you post a picture of the enclosure?

Maybe just settling.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Thanks!!!

The enclosure looks fine, so I wouldn't worry about.

But one little thing, do not use the thermostat/hygrometer to control your husbandry, simply use it to have an aprox idea of the conditions inside. Some try to chase some specific numbers, ignoring other parameters...

avhall

Arachnopeon
Thanks!!!

The enclosure looks fine, so I wouldn't worry about.

But one little thing, do not use the thermostat/hygrometer to control your husbandry, simply use it to have an aprox idea of the conditions inside. Some try to chase some specific numbers, ignoring other parameters...
Thank you! I appreciate it. Yeah after more research I seen how strictly by going by the thermostat/hygrometer can cause some trouble so I haven’t paid too much attention to it.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
strictly by going by the thermostat/hygrometer can cause some trouble so I haven’t paid too much attention to it.
Got a couple of them free with set ups before and ditched them almost immediately (specifically hygrometer).
I still monitor temps just on the off chance I need to bump the central heating on in cooler months but I've never needed to monitor humidity :)

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I need to bump the central heating on in cooler months but I've never needed to monitor humidity :)
Just for those occasions hygrometers are helpful. No everybody has the same climatic conditions, and we mostly base our advices on our experiences, not taking into consideration other's conditions, and this is a big mistake.

No one says or should say to completely ignore them, but yes to not follow them blindly to control our husbandry. Ignoring such conditions can be very dangerous, specially with bigger enclosures, like exo terras etc.

We shouldn't ignore that they are a helpful tool if used correctly. Better to teach them how to use them properly, than ignore them.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Just for those occasions hygrometers are helpful. No everybody has the same climatic conditions, and we mostly base our advices on our experiences, not taking into consideration other's conditions, and this is a big mistake.

No one says or should say to completely ignore them, but yes to not follow them blindly to control our husbandry. Ignoring such conditions can be very dangerous, specially with bigger enclosures, like exo terras etc.

We shouldn't ignore that they are a helpful tool if used correctly. Better to teach them how to use them properly, than ignore them.
Fair point :)

I find visually watching moisture gradient in the substrate and maintaining a full water dish should be more than enough and then doesn't justify gauges of any kind. As you said quite rightly, that's just my circumstances and there may be situations it would be beneficial.