Question about my Brazilian Black sling

Darby Stevens

Arachnopeon
I just bought a Brazilian Black sling and I’ve been preparing its tiny enclosure it will live in for now and I was just wondering if dry substrate is better or moist? The do burrow and I’ve heard both

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I just bought a Brazilian Black sling and I’ve been preparing its tiny enclosure it will live in for now and I was just wondering if dry substrate is better or moist? The do burrow and I’ve heard both
If it is a small sling keep it a bit damp but do not over do it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You need at least 5 gallons of patience 😂😂😂

Keep it in a damp/moist substrate with a drier area, this worked best to me. Give her plenty of substrate to burrow, they are little bulldozers. You can use a cork bark like a starter burrow, and add more substrate on top of the cork bark to give her a more higher zone, also you will increase the total usable area of the enclosure. For substrate I would use unfertilized and pesticide free topsoil. My pulchra settled much faster in this substrate than in the coco fiber stuff. It also maintains much better the moisture on it, while the coco fiber's outer layer dries out too quickly, topsoil maintains the moisture across all the substrate more homogeneously.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Give it the choice. Overflow the water dish in one corner a bit, and when it starts to dry out, do it again. That way the sling can choose where it is comfortable hanging out.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Unless the species specifically doesn’t require moisture, I use 4X4X4 AMAC boxes with coco fibre substrate for slings that are at least 3/4”. The surface is usually dry, and the rest is varying degrees of damp to moist...so the sling can choose the conditions that fit it best.

Here’s a thread with lots of nice information:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Slightly moist sub (keep around 1/3 of the sub moist) until 1.5 inches and then dry sub with a water dish after that.