Question about moving king snake after feeding

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
I've recently acquired a 19 inch California King Snake and I fed it a pinky for the first time since it's came into my care today. I've read plenty of information stating to never handle a snake for 48 hours after eating a meal however I remove the snake and place it into a plastic bin for feeding to avoid stomach impaction from accidentally consuming substrate. I will not leave my snake in an unheated empty plastic bin for 48 hours, so I moved it back into the terrarium once the bulge got about halfway down. No regurgitation occured however I wonder as so many others use this feeding method, is it only okay because handling is so brief (From bin to tank in under 10 seconds) ?

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
It will be fine if you just gently put it back. I always just fed my snakes in their enclosures though. I used newspaper and shredded aspen substrate and never had any issues with impaction in 20 years.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
I'm using eco earth because I was told by my brother and some other snake keepers that aspen attracts mites very consistently. (After I had already bought a bag)... And also because I have plenty of bricks of eco earth to spare

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I've never had a mite problem with aspen. The only way you would get mites is if you bring them in on a snake. I tried a lot of different things over the years and it's definitely my favorite substrate for most snakes.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
I've never had a mite problem with aspen. The only way you would get mites is if you bring them in on a snake. I tried a lot of different things over the years and it's definitely my favorite substrate for most snakes.
Yeah, that seems to be how most people feel about aspen shavings. Most people don't have problems, but watching what my brother went through with his problem.. He went from newspaper for months with 0 issues, switched to aspen and had mites less than 2 weeks later. Another friend has similar problems so I'm almost wondering if it's the area I live in.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I used to feed my 2 retic girls on newspaper inside the viv. I was bothered about them ingesting aspen with their rabbits.

Solved the "problem".

GatorWrestler303

Arachnopeon
I don't feed any of mine in their cages but have 2 friends with 100's on a venom line and they all feed in cage. Mine I feed in a tub because I don't want them associating me opening their cage with getting fed. I feed mine give them a few minutes then gently get them back in their cage and have never had a regurge.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't feed any of mine in their cages but have 2 friends with 100's on a venom line and they all feed in cage. Mine I feed in a tub because I don't want them associating me opening their cage with getting fed. I feed mine give them a few minutes then gently get them back in their cage and have never had a regurge.
Tap training stops all of that. How do you go about water changes or spot cleaning?

GatorWrestler303

Arachnopeon
Remove from cage and clean. Never change water when snake is in cage. A coworker got tagged by a sidewinder when we was in a hurry once. He had to crofab but is fine.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I had a Florida king snake for 15 years, she was a pig. Its best to move them into another area or container for feeding, then after two hours or so, move back into their main home. If you feed them where they live, they tend to get nippy, thinking its feeding time every time the lid is opened..

basin79

ArachnoGod
I had a Florida king snake for 15 years, she was a pig. Its best to move them into another area or container for feeding, then after two hours or so, move back into their main home. If you feed them where they live, they tend to get nippy, thinking its feeding time every time the lid is opened..
Once again tap training stops this.