Question about millipede food

JimO

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to inquire about something. I am mostly into dart frogs at the moment, although my son wants a large centipede. We're still working on that with my wife. :eek: She's not a big "bug" fan.

Anyway, as a side business to make my frog hobby pay for itself, I sell leaf litter to dart frog breeders and hobbyist. I received an interesting request from someone who keep large millipedes and roaches for acorns as food along with some leaf litter.

Is this a common food item for millipedes? I was both curious, and to be frank, was wondering if there would be an interest in acorns by others.

Thanks,

Jim

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I haven't kept millipedes for very long, surely our more experienced keepers will have more input. :) I can't say that i've heard of feeding them acorns, specifically, but many types of millipedes really enjoy oak leaves and debris (like rotting bark). Acorns come from oak, and could possibly be just as nutritionally beneficial? Millipede keepers look for sources that are clean from parasites and free of pesticides. I get my oak litter from a friend in the country, but not everyone has that kind of hookup and may be interested in purchasing good quality stuff. :)