Question about mesh lid?

Nancyv99

Arachnopeon
After finding out mesh lids are extremely dangerous, I have made a temporary solution, i think, To the problem until i Can get plexiglass or something. I put contact paper (similar to stick on countertop) inside the mesh lid with a bunch of holes for air... shes in a glass aquarium. Is this enough air holes for her to breathe and be okay temporarily until i Can replace the lid? New to the hobby thanks to everyone 😅

Attachments

Nancyv99

Arachnopeon
After finding out mesh lids are extremely dangerous for tarantulas I have made a temporary solution, i think, To the problem until i Can get plexiglass or something. I put contact paper (similar to stick on countertop) inside the mesh lid with a bunch of holes for air... shes in a glass aquarium. Is this enough air holes for her to breathe and be okay temporarily until i Can replace the lid? New to the hobby thanks to everyone 😅

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I would argue it would be enough for the time being.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Can you please provide some info about the inhabitant? It's probably fine short-term for low metabolic rate terrestrials, certainly not for Avicularinae. Size and species please.

Nancyv99

Arachnopeon
Can you please provide some info about the inhabitant? It's probably fine short-term for low metabolic rate terrestrials, certainly not for Avicularinae. Size and species please.
[/QUOT
Shes a 5/6 inch mature female Aphonopelma Seemanni.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Shes a 5/6 inch mature female Aphonopelma Seemanni.
Thanks for the info (and for using the binomial name). In the case I agree with the other replies, that level of ventilation should be fine. Substrate will probably stay wet longer than with just the mesh or a drilled Plexiglas replacement, so you may see mold/fungus growth, which is unsightly but not dangerous. May want to reduce amount or frequency of adding water to the substrate to compensate is all. Definitely better than leaving the mesh.

Nancyv99

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info (and for using the binomial name). In the case I agree with the other replies, that level of ventilation should be fine. Substrate will probably stay wet longer than with just the mesh or a drilled Plexiglas replacement, so you may see mold/fungus growth, which is unsightly but not dangerous. May want to reduce amount or frequency of adding water to the substrate to compensate is all. Definitely better than leaving the mesh.
Thanks so much for the reassurance! Ive been worried about her not being able to breathe or something all night😅 shes been curled up in the corner since last night, looking a bit stressed,hoping with a bit more time in the new enclosure she grows more comfortable.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Thanks so much for the reassurance! Ive been worried about her not being able to breathe or something all night😅 shes been curled up in the corner since last night, looking a bit stressed,hoping with a bit more time in the new enclosure she grows more comfortable.
If you post pics of the entire enclosure and spider, it may be helpful in making sure there aren't other concerns with the enclosure.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Substrate depth looks good to me, but I see water droplets of the glass... Do you spray to dampen the sub? (If so, skip spraying, just pour water along one edge to moisten the lower layers) I can't really tell if you've provided a hide or what type if so, but a chunk of cork bark mostly buried at an angle with a "starter burrow" can encourage burrowing. A. seemani are a bit notorious for taking their sweet time to settle into a new home, so if it were me, I'd add a cork bark slab if she doesn't have one & just give her time with minimal disturbance. It might be weeks or months before she settles in and burrows. Keep the water dish filled of course & offer food as normal, but try to avoid moving the tank or opening it unnecessarily while she adjusts. I've personally only kept one seemani, but I'm sure you'll get feedback from others if there's anything I've missed.

I love watching ours on the rare occasions she comes up to the surface. She's like a rocket flying up for feeders, but is terrible about dragging water dishes into her burrow and burying them. I think she's got 4 of them plus the one she hasn't stolen yet right now, lol.