question about H .hottentotta moulting ?

emperor22

Arachnopeon
Im new to this business ..so please kindly help me

How long will it take for a H. hottentotta 4th instar to turn into 5th instar ?
what is the best enclosure for this kind of scorpion ?

all suggestion and criticism is welcome thanks :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
http://www.panarthropoda.de/sub/haltung/skorpione/familien/hottentottacaboverdensisen.php

I would say not to crossbreed scorpions. It causes problems with what they are sold as, how they are labeled, and so on. However, since Hottentotta hottentotta is parthenogenetic, meaning it clones itself, you can't really crossbreed them. Just don't even try it, as it causes many problems.

Also, is this your first scorpion? If so, I wouldn't reccomend this species as your first scorpion.

emperor22

Arachnopeon
yes this is my first scorpion ..why wouln't reccomend this species as my first scorpion ? why because it is agressive :D

JC014

Arachnopeon
(correct me if im wrong), i think its because of its venom level. Since your from ph try H. Longimanus/ P. Imperator/ H. Swammerdammi / H. Mysorensis :D

Btw im also against crossbreeding scorpion and idont even know if it is possible with a parthenogenetic sp.

emperor22

Arachnopeon
so how long will it take for the 4th instar scorpion to moult to 5th instar ..please answer please

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I say it is not wise because of the venom level and inexperience combined. We don't want anyone to get hurt.

How long it takes depends on nutrition, heat, size of prey, keeping conditions, how often it is fed, etc. It depends on a bunch of things, so no one can really say an exact time frame.

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Based on my own experience, they will be in premolt for about 3 weeks from the moment they stop eating.

To relate to my friend ShredderEmp's comments, I would like to say that H. hottentotta doesn't necessarily have to be an intermediate or expert scorpion. On the contrary, I think it's a pretty good scorpion to start out with. They're not that aggressive, care is rather simple, plus parthenogenesis is every scorpion breeders dream.

emperor22

Arachnopeon
How can you determinded if it is going to molt when it is always moving arround ...should they stay in one place ?

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not necessarily. She could just be walking around because she's stressed out or something. Dig a small ditch in the enclosure, then moisten the substrate in the ditch, then set a hide on top. She should stay in there where it's moist and molt.