question about goliaths

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ok i've read on some sites that t. blondi is a burrower, then on another site i read they are not burrowers and just take over rat nests?, so my question is which is it? i'm setting up a tank for 7-8" female and i want it to be the best it can be.i've read a lot but i'm still kinda confused, do they burrow or do i place like 4-5" of substrate and provide a hide?, thanks--Jeff

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeff,

Mine seem to adapt to hides and burrow some under them. I've read that in the wild they are opportunistic burrowers. I've had success with mine by hollowing out a small area under a large terra cotta saucer. I place the water dish half under the saucer. This will help to keep the humidity up under the saucer,l allow me to fill it easily, and give the T access to the water outside the saucer.

I keep them in a large containter with about 6 inches of damp peat. You'll notice when the cage starts to dry out because the terra cotta saucer will lighten up. One word of caution when using terra cotta though... be sure to use a new pot/saucer. If you use used ones and they housed a plant in which systemic pesticides were used it would most likely be a tragedy in the making.

Botar

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'll second what Botar said about them being opportunistic. I currently keep several large blondis on a barely moistened mix of peat and vermiculite. I give them half of a large flowerpot as a shelter. One of them has constructed a pretty nice L-shaped burrow that begins at the base of the pot and ends at the back corner of her enclosure. The rest of them seem to be content with making a shallow pit under their flowerpot halves.

John

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Opportunistic Burrowers? Yes.

Mine's about 10" now, and she hasn't had a burrow since she was 5". I keep her in a 20g aquarium with 4" of substrate and a few hides. She seems to prefer sitting behind the hides, though. That said, my room is VERY dark. That's probably why most of my spiders never hide.

-Bryan