Question about fine mesh on arboreal enclosure

Spider Cafe

Arachnopeon
I’m considering rehousing my C versicolor into enclosure with three mesh ventilation holes like this. Are these ok for a sling? Could she get stuck or chew through it? I raised my huntsman in it and would love to reuse it.
435BA6D7-D62B-40F6-A98C-13EFFC3BC733.jpeg

Attachments

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I’m considering rehousing my C versicolor into enclosure with three mesh ventilation holes like this. Are these ok for a sling? Could she get stuck or chew through it? I raised my huntsman in it and would love to reuse it.
View attachment 377013
What size is your C. versicolor?

If it's 2 to 2.5 inches I wouldn't worry about it using it's fangs to rip a hole in it to escape. However when it becomes bigger it's a possibility but unlikely.

As far as it's feet getting stuck it's a possibility when it is bigger but highly unlikely for an arboreal. Terrestrials are the foot-in-trap ones.

Spider Cafe

Arachnopeon
Just around two inches, I added picture.
Sounds good thank you fir your answer! 35C1DB7B-31C3-4905-B904-3CF4F1D84126.jpeg

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
About that question if she could chew through that mesh....probably in time. Is it going to happen? Unlikely. Never heard of any Avic spp. trying to nom their way out of an enclosure through any kind of meshvent, but that doesn't mean it can't. However, it's more likely the T will web that vent close as most Avics tend to do with them (all of mine did at least hence speaking from experience).

Spider Cafe

Arachnopeon
Good to know. Yeah the enclosure has three vents so she should still get plenty of cross ventilation. And if her chewing through could potentially happen but over time- I’ll keep my eye on it and not planning on keeping her in it longer than necessary. Thanks so much!

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Not an avic, but I have one of my Jumping Spiders (P. regius) in one of these, and she's started to chew the vents. I've never even heard of that happening before with jumpers 😂 There's always that rogue individual, so I'd just be wary of the possibility.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You are right she is definitely under two inches. I took another shot and the enclosure is three inches for scale.
Not rehousing her yet but wanna make sure I don’t need anything different for her. Thanks!
yeahh maybe 1.25in, I am not sure I personally dont use those type mesh vents so I cant say for cetainty, but theyre may be a possibility of them chewing thhrough or getting stuck, its a risk you have to weigh.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not an avic, but I have one of my Jumping Spiders (P. regius) in one of these, and she's started to chew the vents. I've never even heard of that happening before with jumpers 😂 There's always that rogue individual, so I'd just be wary of the possibility.
Let me get this straight - you own a jumping spider that tries to chew threw the vent of its enclosure? You, M'am, have a very unique specimen! I'm gonna go laugh some more now :D

Also, as I said it's very unlikely an Avic will try to chew through a meshvent. But generally speaking: Any T is capable of chewing through them I guess. The bigger, the stronger, the more determined will define how quickly in the end. Honestly I've seen my Psalms try to, never my Avics.

LadyVonChimp

Arachnosquire
Let me get this straight - you own a jumping spider that tries to chew threw the vent of its enclosure? You, M'am, have a very unique specimen! I'm gonna go laugh some more now :D

Also, as I said it's very unlikely an Avic will try to chew through a meshvent. But generally speaking: Any T is capable of chewing through them I guess. The bigger, the stronger, the more determined will define how quickly in the end. Honestly I've seen my Psalms try to, never my Avics.
Oh yeah, she's a little unhinged. I was sat near my collection one day and could hear this "twanging" sound. Looked up and she was staring at me whilst doing it as if to say "Yeah? What you gonna do about it?!" 😂

She also likes to rip flies apart limb from limb after she's done eating and throws them around like a football. Seriously, she's nuts.

Spider Cafe

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, she's a little unhinged. I was sat near my collection one day and could hear this "twanging" sound. Looked up and she was staring at me whilst doing it as if to say "Yeah? What you gonna do about it?!" 😂

She also likes to rip flies apart limb from limb after she's done eating and throws them around like a football. Seriously, she's nuts.
Wow she is something else. :) I keep several jumpers in it, including H giganteus and no problem.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Raised sling/juvi avics w/that mesh- no issues. Adults- not smart to do.