Question about Emperor behavior

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Whilst I was at my favorite shop, picking up my G. pulchra, I noticed that in the Emperor aquarium, they were all heaped on top of one another. Is this normal for them? They had just received them this morning, so I'm wondering if it was stress..
Peace,
Gillian

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chances are it is warmer/more humid/something else in that one corner. I'm betting the answer is warmer.

Cheers,
Dave

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Chances are it is warmer/more humid/something else in that one corner. I'm betting the answer is warmer.

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks Dave....Listen, most people who have moved on from Emperors, I've found, tend to refer to them in much the same way as people due to G. roseas. I really am leaning towards Emperors, to be quite honest. Are they really as dull, whatever people say negatively about them?

Peace,
Gillian

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Gillian,

It all depends. For a good argument in favour of emps, check out Wade's posting on the subject. Personally, I gave emps a miss when I was a beginner but am now considering adding some to my collection. Personally, I love G.rosea.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gillian,

One dangerous thing about these forums is that you get it in your head that you "need" one thing or annother! I may have helped convince Dave that he needs to get some emeprors, but his posts have convinced me that I need to get some Heterometrus! =D My wife thinks this is a "want", but she just doesn't understand.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Dave & Wade,
I've always leaned towards Emps. I already have an aquraium, heater, and a hide. A friend was going to send me one of her babies, but nothing came of it.
Gillian

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Wade
I may have helped convince Dave that he needs to get some emeprors,
Forget "may," you did help convince me. Bastard! ;) Actualy, the next time I see Hadrurus sp. available at a reasonable cost, I'm going to pick a few up. I still don't really like them ... but I can't justify my not liking them and it just seems like I should get them and I KNOW that once I get them I'll love them ... sigh. ;) As for the Pandinus, I've now been completely sold. Fortunately, I'm short on space and can't just whip together an enclosure big enough for the 3 dozen I would want right now ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Gosh...imagine the cricket input need for that many...they eat alot.

John

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

Between 100+ inverts, a cane toad, argentinian horned frog, tokay gecko and even my savannah monitor, we deal with crickets in the 1000s. A few dozen more isn't going to make a difference.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Geez Dave...I didn't realize you were in the 100+ club...I only have 15 inverts total at the moment...A lightweight to say the least. :D

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

The baby C.exilicauda pushed me over the edge. It all has to do with how I like my collection. With a few exceptions, everything is intended to breed. That means multiples. I don't have an A.bicolor, I have five. I don't have a couple C.exilicauda -- I have 21 adults and at least 5 babies (the most I've seen simlultaneously in the last couple days). I don't even have just one Usumbara (7) or G.rosea (5). Plus, the count includes the whole invert collection, which is a joint effort between Tamara and I.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I should have guessed that was part of your large #'s...I only have 2-3 of each of the 7 species I have...

John
];')