Question about dying slaters and little centipedes in stairwell

Erneuert

Arachnopeon
Hi,

In our townhouse we have stairs leading down to the cooler garage area.

All year round we have slaters (the ones that curl up into a ball when you touch them) dying either on the stairs or end up dead at the base of the stairwell. Often we’ll hear the little echoing “click-click-clickclickclick,” like a marble dropping.

Now, in summer (Sydney, Australia) this year we’re noticing, along with the slaters, small black centipedes (or millipedes?) also exhibiting the same behaviour and typically ending up dead at the bottom of the stairwell.

Can anyone fill me in on why they always end up here? An image for reference attached.

Attachments

JasperTheSpooder

Arachnopeon
Either there is something they desire down there, or you just have a lot of them in your house that end up falling down the stairs.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Both typically live in cool damp areas, so perhaps they're travelling up from the garage looking for food.

Erneuert

Arachnopeon
I walked down to the garage today and noticed a decently sized huntsman spider look at me then run away. At least I know I don’t have to keep sweeping up the remains. He’s getting his food! :rofl:

I’ll take some photos of the next lot of corpses that appear so you can get an idea of how frequent they are.

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
I walked down to the garage today and noticed a decently sized huntsman spider look at me then run away. At least I know I don’t have to keep sweeping up the remains. He’s getting his food! :rofl:

I’ll take some photos of the next lot of corpses that appear so you can get an idea of how frequent they are.
Lol! They like the cool, damp dark, and when they’re ready to be active again they’ll rise to warmer temps in search of food etc. it’s likely they are either running into poison along the way or are dying from the fall. You can always use a bug hotel if you don’t mind them. Do you put out anything to kill them? That could be why they are possibly dying