Question about dubias

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a scorpling that only eats prekilled prey, so I have to kill his dubias before I drop them in, typically by just crushing their heads. Earlier tonight, I noticed one of them was STILL moving and struggling around 3 hours after I killed it. Has anyone else experienced this and how is this possible, if the head is destroyed?

douglas weird

Arachnopeon
I have a scorpling that only eats prekilled prey, so I have to kill his dubias before I drop them in, typically by just crushing their heads. Earlier tonight, I noticed one of them was STILL moving and struggling around 3 hours after I killed it. Has anyone else experienced this and how is this possible, if the head is destroyed?
I could be wrong, but I always assumed they were very much still alive afterwards and that crushing their heads only removes their sensory input. They don't need their head to breath or anything, and they don't have much of a nervous system, so I'd imagine without a head they could live long enough to die by dehydration or starvation... so probably days?
I know I've seen mine still kicking for at least 12~ hrs.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I could be wrong, but I always assumed they were very much still alive afterwards and that crushing their heads only removes their sensory input. They don't need their head to breath or anything, and they don't have much of a nervous system, so I'd imagine without a head they could live long enough to die by dehydration or starvation... so probably days?
I know I've seen mine still kicking for at least 12~ hrs.
Honestly, that sounds pretty grim. Do you know of a sure fire way of killing them? I would never want to prolong anythings suffering or death.

Dragatan

Arachnopeon
Most roaches can survive a couple days without a head, and they will eventually die from lack of food and water

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Honestly, that sounds pretty grim. Do you know of a sure fire way of killing them? I would never want to prolong anythings suffering or death.
Just put them in the freezer (in a catch cup) until they're dead. It doesn't take long. Then take them out, wait a couple of minutes for them to return to room temperature. If they "wake up" then you need to freeze them for longer. 3-5 minutes works for me.
If you forget about them and leave them in the freezer until they're frozen solid, no problem, just give them longer (maybe 15 min) to thaw and warm up.