Question about DIY enclosure ventilation/G.Rosea

Javalon

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone! Relatively new to the Tarantula Keeping Hobby, I recently acquired a roughly 6 year old, female G. Rosea, she is my first one(I know how typical:p) Her previous enclosure was getting pretty tight for her, so I built a new enclosure for her, and rehoused her on Wednesday. after doing the standard "walk around and check stuff out" motions, she now primarily stays in this one particular spot or on top of her hide, and I know G. Rosea are dubbed the "Living Rock" of the Tarantula world, but she really rarely moves, but I am curious if this is because it is a higher point in the Enclosure and thus less humid, and I am concerned the ventilation might not be enough for her, but its almost impossible to find a guide on specifics since everyone has their own opinion regarding enclosure ventilation. Any Help, suggestions, criticism is greatly appreciated! I'm including some basic info and a pic for reference, I apologize if this seems like a silly topic or question to ask, but I'd rather be thorough, I love this T and don't want to see it come to any harm. Thanks everyone!

-Enclosure dimensions: L13" x W9" x H6"
-Bagged Eco-Earth Coconut fiber substrate
-Regular temps around 75F during the day 68-70F at night
-No noticeable moisture on enclosure walls(but could have been?) Substrate was as dry as I think it could be(would not stick together much if at all when squished in hands)
-Ventilation 15 holes on each of the North and South sides of the enclosure, and 4 on each of the West and East walls, all at the top
-Water bowl is 3" diameter about 1" deep with river rocks in it
-last Molt was in September 2016, last feeding was on Friday(Jan 6/2017)
-Is at rested posture almost exlcusively and rarely walks on the walls of the enclosure(that I've seen)

20170112_193456.jpg

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Your substrate should be completely dry. All you need to provide is a water dish. Your cage is fine. If you have any holes in the lid also, you're good to go. If your substrate is damp, dry it out completely. :) Oh, and there is no need for rocks in the waterdish :) welcome to the hobby!

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Many tarantulas like to just sit and chill ;) this is especially true for Brachypelma and Grammostola genus :) apparently they like to sit on hides :) You've done a great job :)

cold blood

Staff member
They dont require a whole lot of ventilation, just dry sub.

Take the rocks out of the water dish;)

Javalon

Arachnopeon
Okay! I will pull the rocks out tomorrow when I feed her and check the sub again, thank you guys for your input, it is much appreciated! I was hooked the moment I brought her home, they are as bad as tattoo's! once you get one, you gotta get more!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Okay! I will pull the rocks out tomorrow when I feed her and check the sub again, thank you guys for your input, it is much appreciated! I was hooked the moment I brought her home, they are as bad as tattoo's! once you get one, you gotta get more!
Can't say I relate to the tattoo thing since I have none but I do have more than one Tarantula and that I agree with that you cannot have only one.

In addition to removing the rocks from the water dish I would remove that abrasive looking decoration. If it climbs over that and falls it will be a pretty bad injury.

@ledzeppelin My B. smithi seems to be going against the norm and has been using the hide quite a bit the last month or so. She molted not that long ago so I am going to assume it is just her being defiant and not wanting me to see her. >_>

Also, @Javalon, it appears you have a G. porteri not a G. rosea.

Javalon

Arachnopeon
Can't say I relate to the tattoo thing since I have none but I do have more than one Tarantula and that I agree with that you cannot have only one.

In addition to removing the rocks from the water dish I would remove that abrasive looking decoration. If it climbs over that and falls it will be a pretty bad injury.

@ledzeppelin My B. smithi seems to be going against the norm and has been using the hide quite a bit the last month or so. She molted not that long ago so I am going to assume it is just her being defiant and not wanting me to see her. >_>

Also, @Javalon, it appears you have a G. porteri not a G. rosea.
Thanks for the input! yes I removed the statue when I removed the rocks in her water dish, it was just made out of plastic and non abrasive despite appearances, but Id rather put some fake plants in instead. As far as from what I've been told, she was labeled as a G. rosea from the breeder, but I often did wonder if she was actually a G. porteri, however I haven't been able to find any concrete information for distinguishing the two, other then Porteri's being the normal and dark color formations, and the Rosea strictly being the RCF, please correct me if I am wrong.

Javalon

Arachnopeon
Yep, its not actually a color form, its different species that both share the common moniker of rose hair. Same care, temperament and appetite. This is porteri
Well that sure looks pretty bang on to what I have lol That is good to know! I am still very new to this hobby and find I am learning new things daily, this website and community have been awesome, thank you for the info it is much appreciated!

cold blood

Staff member
Well that sure looks pretty bang on to what I have lol That is good to know! I am still very new to this hobby and find I am learning new things daily, this website and community have been awesome, thank you for the info it is much appreciated!
Every so often there are shipments from Chile that have other similar Grammostola species, also sold as "rose hairs". Sp. northern gold comes to mind...seems like there's been an influx of these to the hobby in the past year.