question about columbian brown t

spindizzy

Arachnopeon
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
8
I bought a columbian brown sling in december from a pet shop and it died 24 hours later. I took it back to the pet shop n they were going to let me know when they had more slings in. Its been 6 weeks now and heard nothing from them so I (quite rightly) want my money back. The pet shop are trying to tell me that the sand substrate will have dried it out.

Pretty sure that's not right? I've had my g.rosea on sand before and he was fine. I'd say it had more to do with the mould/dead crickets In there surely? They just trying to fob me off?
 

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
353
You should never use sand as a substrate. Ever. Use peat moss or coco fiber.

But if there was no guarantee in the beginning your screwed. You usually check those things before you buy ;)
 

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
1,310
You should never use sand as a substrate. Ever. Use peat moss or coco fiber.

But if there was no guarantee in the beginning your screwed. You usually check those things before you buy ;)
+1

I assume you are talking about one of the Pamphobeteus?

From my understanding, these like higher humidity. If you had a spiderling on sand, that is bad news from the start. Spiderlings need more humidity than adults also. How did you water it? It could've possibly dehydrated.

And before you get a new one, you need to research proper setups.
 

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
5,363
That being said though, it's tough to say whether or not the sand was the cause of death.
 

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
May 28, 2009
Messages
679
I bought a columbian brown sling in december from a pet shop and it died 24 hours later. I took it back to the pet shop n they were going to let me know when they had more slings in. Its been 6 weeks now and heard nothing from them so I (quite rightly) want my money back. The pet shop are trying to tell me that the sand substrate will have dried it out.

Pretty sure that's not right? I've had my g.rosea on sand before and he was fine. I'd say it had more to do with the mould/dead crickets In there surely? They just trying to fob me off?
Why do you keep them on sand:?
 
Top