Question about behavior

electra

Arachnopeon
I have a 3/4" Nhandu chromatus who insists on burrowing straight down through 3" of peat moss and then covering the entrance. How is it going to eat? Once I dug it out, gave it a cricket, which it promptly ate. Next morning it had burrowed again. Only had it for a week. Should I keep feeding it (the crickets only die on top) or dig it out or stop feeding? What about water? My experience level is quite low (I only have 5 total) and this never happened with my others. Thanks.

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They will come out often at night to feed and by the time you are up in the morning they are sealed back up and you would not know the difference. Keep track of the abdomen, if it is starting to darken up it should be getting ready to molt and it wants to be left alone. Digging T's up with out a realy good cause can be stressful on them and could also result in injury. My N. chromatus is a wanton burrower. Place the cricket right at the top of the burrow enterance and wait. If it is still there the next morning take it out and try again in a day or so.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't dig it up to feed it. You'll only stress it out... How do you think they'd feed in the wild?

And it won't of happened with ur others as they aren't burrowing (fossorial) species.
As is said above, put the food in right infront of her burrow.. if it's still there in the morning remove it and try in a days time. When it is hungry it'll come out to eat and drink..

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a 3/4" Nhandu chromatus who insists on burrowing straight down through 3" of peat moss and then covering the entrance. How is it going to eat? Once I dug it out, gave it a cricket, which it promptly ate. Next morning it had burrowed again. Only had it for a week. Should I keep feeding it (the crickets only die on top) or dig it out or stop feeding? What about water? My experience level is quite low (I only have 5 total) and this never happened with my others. Thanks.
please don't try digging a T out ever again unless you need to rehouse it and even then, there are better ways to remove a burrowing T. leave the cricket in there for a max of 24 hrs before checking again. T's are nocturnal and hunt at night so if it's a burrower, it wont come out 'til the lights are off.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine does the same thing at about 1-1/4". It dug straight to the bottom of the small kk, then dug a subterranean lap halfway arount the perimeter then excavated a big chamber in the center. Now almost the entire bottom of the kk is excavated and the entrance is blocked up for the entire width of the kk.

So here i am thinking about digging him out if he doesn't show his face soon until i read this thread. I guess that's just what they do. As a side note, my L parahybana is doing the same thing except with less tunneling.