Question about B. dubia

Maxrpm

Arachnopeon
I have a colony of B. dubia and have noticed that some of them are very roundish and have very skinny abdomens like they haven't ever ate. Then some of them are oblongish and have very fat abdomens.

Are these two the same species? Seems i'm getting more of the roundish ones that i don't like using as feeders because they don't seem to be nourished like the other ones..

All my males look like normal male B. dubia

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a colony of B. dubia and have noticed that some of them are very roundish and have very skinny abdomens like they haven't ever ate. Then some of them are oblongish and have very fat abdomens.

Are these two the same species? Seems i'm getting more of the roundish ones that i don't like using as feeders because they don't seem to be nourished like the other ones..

All my males look like normal male B. dubia
Maybe some are carrying an ootheca and that's why they are so bulbous...?

Maxrpm

Arachnopeon
I got both from nymph's to adults..

*edit* Think I figured it out.. I believe I have both B. dubia and B. discoidalis in the same colony..

Gonna send the guy I bought them from an email and see if he had em mixed to see if i'm correct.

Last edited:

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my dubia and discoids mixed (with rothi and peppered as well) and I tell the nymphs apart by their limb coloration. The dubia's seem to be tan, almost yellow, and the discoids are brown to black. Not to mention discoid nymphs are a lot wider and have a more "ragged" look to their abdomen.