Question about avics.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does a mature male A.Avic have the little hook things? Or should I look for something else to detemine the sex?...I'll try to get some pics but its tough to get it out from it's web xD

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, they do. But the hooks can be somtimes hard to notice, so look carefully. There hairy legs and small hooks make it difficult to find them.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, the hooks are kinda hard to see, but they are there.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, they do have hooks and yes they are harder to see on avics than some other T's. The hooks on my mature male GBB were very easy to see, but the hooks on my male A. avic and my A. purpurea are much smaller.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does a mature male A.Avic have the little hook things? Or should I look for something else to detemine the sex?...I'll try to get some pics but its tough to get it out from it's web xD
yes mature males have the hooks. and they also have boxing gloves which mean their pedipalps have become longer to help their mating go smoothly.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I couldnt see any...he/she is out of the web right now chillin on the side of the cage which is unusual but...the pedipalps are a bit longer...he/she is about 3"...is that early enough for the hooks? I'll try to get a pic.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I couldnt see any...he/she is out of the web right now chillin on the side of the cage which is unusual but...the pedipalps are a bit longer...he/she is about 3"...is that early enough for the hooks? I'll try to get a pic.
Ya, some Avic. avic. males are small, others are can be quite big. If you couldn't see any, then he probably isn't a mature male. Just try to get a pic, just in case..