Question about a potential new landlord

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I am looking to rent a house and have a one-on-one interview with the potential new landlord this Saturday. Though the ad clearly says dogs and cats are allowed, there is nothing about other types of pets and I am nervous about telling them that I have 65 tarantulas, a dozen or so scorpions and other creepy crawlies. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to bring it up that will be reassuring to the landlord? Thanks in advance!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Honestly I would say nothing, mouth sewed a la 'Italian style' :lock: <-- mouth sewed Smilies

Think about this, what if the landlord is the average person that "loves every kind of animals" but, when it comes to spiders, is in the "kill it with fire" league? What if the landlord is an arachnophobic one, uhm? :)

Plus, there's the feeders to consider: I have yet to hear about a landlord that enjoy to know that roaches would be in his/her property, save for Leatherface or the Baker family of 'Resident Evil VII' :writer:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agree. The risk of you not be able to rent there if you tell him is high! But what if you not telling him and he wants access to your apartment? I might think your in bigger trouble then! If i where you i think i would have sold of 50 spiders, saving those i like the most and tell him that you have 10 tarantulas that are totally harmless and they are in locked cages. And you feed them ONLY dead insects!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
What happens when he comes around to check his property? How will you hide 65 tarantulas?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
So I am looking to rent a house and have a one-on-one interview with the potential new landlord this Saturday. Though the ad clearly says dogs and cats are allowed, there is nothing about other types of pets and I am nervous about telling them that I have 65 tarantulas, a dozen or so scorpions and other creepy crawlies. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to bring it up that will be reassuring to the landlord? Thanks in advance!
Emphasize that they are kept in their enclosures. (Maybe bring a photo of your current set-up?) They are quiet, do not smell and incapable of causing property damage (besides the fact that they are not let out of their enclosures).

I would NOT advocate saying nothing about them! All other issues aside, that gives you and your pets zero protection. I always insist on the lease being ammended to indicate that my invertebrates are allowed. I find this all the more important because our particular apartment complex is always changing hands and the manager who kept tarantulas herself growing up is then replaced with the typical arachnophobe.

If there are additional reasons you have for keeping them (my husband is always talking about how taking care of our inverts is a meditative stress relief for me) or “qualifications” (my husband also brings up that I’m a biologist, even though as I’m not an entomologist, this really has nothing to do with anything, lol), it cannot hurt to bring these up.

Above all, emphasize that they are kept in their enclosures.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Agree. The risk of you not be able to rent there if you tell him is high! But what if you not telling him and he wants access to yiur apartment? I might think your in bigger trouble then!
Nice analysis but, in such a scenario, he still have a 'last card' to play: he could reply that, since nothing was stated/discussed/mentioned/written etc in the rules and other terms about T's (and arachnids) he simply didn't bothered to ask :)

If i where you i think i would have sold of 50 spiders, saving those i like the most and tell him that you have 10 tarantulas that are totally harmless and they are in locked cages.
Forgive me but this make no sense to me :)

I mean, 10 or 60 T's, in regards of an arachnophobic/spider hater person, is the same, from/for such a perspective.

Why 10 T's (saying) should be fine, but 60 no? Isn't a question of numbers in this case, plus, we know well that to a person that knows nothing about spiders you can tell him/her whatever, like that a P.irminia is potentially lethal, or that the 'Orange Bob' is harmless, and so forth.

But the point is another. Point is 'spider yes' or 'spiders no'. Obviously, asking would be logical, but the risks of a 'No way!' are presents, especially, again, due to the feeders :writer:

What happens when he comes around to check his property? How will you hide 65 tarantulas?
I do understand that here enters or may enter cultural and whatever law/rule that may differ from Italy to the UK, U.S etc but what's with those 'landlord inspections' (a issue that I've already heard about, in similar threads)?

As long as the rent is always paid in time... what's the issue with this 'surprise' property checking? Unless something happens, of course (such the 'ok' of the landlord for heavy repair etc) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Nice analysis but, in such a scenario, he still have a 'last card' to play: he could reply that, since nothing was stated/discussed/mentioned/written etc in the rules and other terms about T's (and arachnids) he simply didn't bothered to ask :)
This could be okay if there is nothing in the lease forbidding all animals not explicitly allowed.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One thing you need to discuss with your prospective landlord is pest control. Many property owners or managers have their properties sprayed on a regular basis. Before you bring your pets over, you need to know if that is the case with this house - and if it has been recently sprayed or treated for anything.

Also, because you will have feeders on the premises, you may get blamed for any insect infestations that might occur. The average person does not differentiate between feeder roaches and pest roaches.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I do understand that here enters or may enter cultural and whatever law/rule that may differ from Italy to the UK, U.S etc but what's with those 'landlord inspections' (a issue that I've already heard about, in similar threads)?

As long as the rent is always paid in time... what's the issue with this 'surprise' property checking? Unless something happens, of course (such the 'ok' of the landlord for heavy repair etc) :)
In the UK as far as I am aware landlords will do a check on the property every 6 months.
At least that is what happened when I lived with my mother.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Sometimes landlords like to check on their property to make sure it is being maintained in good condition and not being misused. (Nobody is cooking meth in the basement, you don't have 17 aunts, uncles, and cousins sleeping on the couches and floors, there are no leaks or fire hazards, etc.) Also, they will sometimes come over to perform routine maintenance like changing furnace filters and smoke alarm batteries, spraying for pests, or other things they don't want to leave up to the tenants.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In the UK as far as I am aware landlords will do a check on the property every 6 months.
At least that is what happened when I lived with my mother.
Terrible :)

Sometimes landlords like to check on their property to make sure it is being maintained in good condition and not being misused. (Nobody is cooking meth in the basement, you don't have 17 aunts, uncles, and cousins sleeping on the couches and floors, there are no leaks or fire hazards, etc.)
Here in Italy as long the rent is paid in time I suppose that even certain landlords would join the 'Meth basement cooking' bandwagon.

Oh, to think how much nations could differ, it's amazing :writer:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Forgive me but this make no sense to me :)

I mean, 10 or 60 T's, in regards of an arachnophobic/spider hater person, is the same, from/for such a perspective.

Why 10 T's (saying) should be fine, but 60 no? Isn't a question of numbers in this case, plus, we know well that to a person that knows nothing about spiders you can tell him/her whatever, like that a P.irminia is potentially lethal, or that the 'Orange Bob' is harmless, and so forth.

But the point is another. Point is 'spider yes' or 'spiders no'. Obviously, asking would be logical, but the risks of a 'No way!' are presents, especially, again, due to the feeders :writer:
I can imagine that 10 sounds a lot better than 60 for a person that not understand the tarantula hobby. The best would to have just 1 tarantula, but who wants to sell all but 1? 10 is a nice compromize i'd say!

basin79

ArachnoGod
If I was you I'd say "Don't worry I haven't got a dog or a cat" early doors to cover the pet issue. That way they'll probably just carry on talking about something else.

If they ever see them in your place you didn't lie. If they do ask if you've got other pets just be honest and reassure them you've had no escapees.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I can imagine that 10 sounds a lot better than 60 for a person that not understand the tarantula hobby. The best would to have just 1 tarantula, but who wants to sell all but 1? 10 is a nice compromize i'd say!
I agree with Chris here. I don’t think number is an issue. I wouldn’t volunteer how many, “a few” will cover it. I don’t think we’ve ever been asked how many. Just emphasize that they’re harmless, kept in their enclosures, etc. If you have a photo of a particularly decorative terrarium you could show them that as an example perhaps. And make sure they don’t apply any pesticides within the dwelling.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I remember a case in Sweden where neighbours complained about a guy that had snakes and tarantulas in his appartment. He sold off the snakes but was not willing to sell his tarantulas. The case was brought up to court! But the guy won, cos the tarantulas where harmless it could be proved!

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I’m in the “tell the landlord” party. I really like the idea of showing a picture of their current set up. That could possibly make 60T’s seem like not such a big deal.
Try picturing 60 animals, sounds like it takes up a huge amount of room! Show a picture of a nice area where they all reside, now it doesn’t seem as bad.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Is there a reason that it has to be brought up at all? If dogs and cats are allowed, I would think that pets that are capable of damaging the house far less than dogs and cats would be allowed, logically speaking. That's the main reason people have for not allowing pets...damage to the property.

I remember a case in Sweden where neighbours complained about a guy that had snakes and tarantulas in his appartment. He sold off the snakes but was not willing to sell his tarantulas. The case was brought up to court! But the guy won, cos the tarantulas where harmless it could be proved!
On what grounds did this go to court? Was owning the animals illegal? Were the snakes and tarantulas too loud for the neighbors? Did they escape and bother the neighbors constantly?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Chris here. I don’t think number is an issue. I wouldn’t volunteer how many, “a few” will cover it. I don’t think we’ve ever been asked how many. Just emphasize that they’re harmless, kept in their enclosures, etc. If you have a photo of a particularly decorative terrarium you could show them that as an example perhaps. And make sure they don’t apply any pesticides within the dwelling.
Yes maybe! I also think presentation is aldo important! But if a landlord walks into an apartment seeing 10 neatly presented glassterrariums with tarantulas. Ir he walks in in the same apartment and seeing 100 andhundreds of enclosures stapled on each other with tarantulas in them, some landlirds may be alright with the first scenario? I think one has to educated landlirds about rarantulas and realize that not everyone likes only cats and dogs, diffrent people like diffrent kinds of animals, and one can tell him that dogs are worse in every single case in a housingproject! They are loud, they dump their feces on the lawn, and they are 1000000 times more dangerous!:angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is why I've suggested to say nothing (especially if nothing is written/stated etc in the rules in regards of inverts).

You can emphasize everything, but everyone knows that spiders are 'poisonous' (we say 'venomous', but you have the idea). You can emphasize that the buggers would remain in their enclosures, still the landlord could have doubts about (even legit doubts, eh... if viewed this for a moment by the landlord's perspective and not from the perspective of us, keepers that know what to do).

Then, there's the feeders issue, which is another issue per se (in particular roaches and crickets). Those feeders are animals that are basically disliked by everyone, in general (save for us).

Who's the landlord that will accept those 'pests' in his/her property, gladly? Yeah there's someone, indeed... but majority wouldn't :)

Now, the logical way for solve this would be saying everything. Everything, telling the truth and, if the landlord says 'Nope, sorry', saying 'Ok, good bye', and search again.
But then again I don't know how much important this home-rent may is, so what IMO remains is a choice between:

1) Saying nothing.

2) Saying everything, and, in the case of a 'Nope', well... bye bye T's and etc

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The neigbours didnt like the idea that huge "deadly" disgusting spiders lived next door!? I assume?