((( Quest for The Red Widow Spider )))

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I got a couple for really cheap off of a breeder no that long ago! Beautiful spider! Of course, one of them lost a leg recently :(. Good luck!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I enjoyed reading your blog. It is neat to see the type of habitat they prefer compared to similar habitats they do not prefer. Very informative. Thanks!

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, thanks for reading the blog.

I agree, it is very interesting how important paying attention to habitat is in finding the species you're after. It was an educational experience for me to learn that even within "general scrub" communities there are still differences that need to be paid attention to.

Was happy to have a successful outcome, and I have had someone who subscribed to my blog tell me in private step-by-step details of how best to locate/acquire these spiders, so hope to make another go of it soon.

Cheers,

Jack

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Hey guys, thanks for reading the blog.

I agree, it is very interesting how important paying attention to habitat is in finding the species you're after. It was an educational experience for me to learn that even within "general scrub" communities there are still differences that need to be paid attention to.

Was happy to have a successful outcome, and I have had someone who subscribed to my blog tell me in private step-by-step details of how best to locate/acquire these spiders, so hope to make another go of it soon.

Cheers,

Jack
I find it very interesting how poorly suited these spiders are for Florida. Seems like they would do much better in a area like Arizona or New Mexico. Heck, even SoCal! A lot of people think reds need humidity, quite the opposite eh?

Thanks again John, we always look forward to your posts and pictures :)

On a side note, I'd love to see you do something on Mimetidae. That's a tough one to find though, but when you do boy is it rewarding. Especially if you catch it hunting/eating!

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I find it very interesting how poorly suited these spiders are for Florida. Seems like they would do much better in a area like Arizona or New Mexico. Heck, even SoCal! A lot of people think reds need humidity, quite the opposite eh?
Thanks again John, we always look forward to your posts and pictures :)
Interesting point about them maybe doing better in Arizona.

I am not sure how to respond factually, but based on pure speculation I would imagine not. It's too dry there (and too hot). I grew up in that area and the high deserts can get up to 110 degrees, and some of the low deserts of Death Valley, CA and Phoenix, AZ get up to 125. Not to mention the fact that it often gets below freezing there too with no humidity whatsoever.

Based on my non-scientific attempt to understand what I've read, the Red Widow needs Florida's humidity, just not as much as other native-FL creatures. And, for whatever reason, they 80% gravitate to saw palmettos, over all other kinds of vegetation, including other palm/palmetto types (though not always!).

Could they possibly adapt? I am not sure. To contradict what I said earlier, what I also remember reading is, when there is severe drought in Florida, that the Red Widow populations explode, so maybe they could adapt to a more arid climate in another state :)

Jack

PS: Thanks for your kind words & glad you enjoy the blog & photos!

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
It seems like they might be adapting to Florida's habitat more so then it being ideal. I'm just speculating though hehe. The two Reds I have sit in 55% humidity and seem to be very happy. Not sure what the humidity is like in the area you found one. Was it over 70 you think? From what I've been told, all Latros are cosmopolitan and capable of establishing in a wide variety of habitats. Usually competition keeps them where they are, or as you said, a preference for building homes.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great blog read Jack. Thanks for the natural history lesson and for the beautiful habitat shots!! Best of luck and keep those great blog posts coming!!

David

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems like they might be adapting to Florida's habitat more so then it being ideal. I'm just speculating though hehe.
I would say they evolved here, not adapted.

The two Reds I have sit in 55% humidity and seem to be very happy. Not sure what the humidity is like in the area you found one. Was it over 70 you think?
No, it's not that humid where I found them, but it definitely gets that humid in areas of Florida.

From what I've been told, all Latros are cosmopolitan and capable of establishing in a wide variety of habitats. Usually competition keeps them where they are, or as you said, a preference for building homes.
Yeah, the Black Widow is ubiquitous for sure, but the Red Widow is just the opposite and very particular about its habitat :)

---------- Post added 06-12-2013 at 09:48 PM ----------

Great blog read Jack. Thanks for the natural history lesson and for the beautiful habitat shots!! Best of luck and keep those great blog posts coming!!
David
Thanks David, glad you enjoyed the trek :cool: