Quest for my first T

Aunyanka Alexander

Arachnopeon
After much research and consideration I've decided I want my first T to be a C. Versicolor. However, I'm nervous about starting with a very small spider, especially of this variety because they can be picky about husbandry. The biggest I have been able to find for sale is between 3/4" and 1". Does anyone know where I should look for one that is a bit larger and already well established? I would prefer it to come with a complete setup, but can provide an enclosure if necissary.

Last edited by a moderator:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Your best bet is to get an enclosure, read up on the"how do I house my caribena versicolor?" threads, set your enclosure up, then post a thread looking for input on your enclosure/setup, and THEN purchase the tarantula.

Getting someone to sell you the tarantulas and the enclosure is going to cost a bunch more for shipping and you'll still have to do the setup when it arrives.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Moderator note: We don't allow "where to buy" inquiries on the forum or solicitations of reviews outside of the review section. For instructions on using our classifieds, see, "Where to Buy" Inquiries. For reviews, see User Reviews and Dealer Reviews.

After much research and consideration I've decided I want my first T to be a C. Versicolor. However, I'm nervous about starting with a very small spider, especially of this variety because they can be picky about husbandry. The biggest I have been able to find for sale is between 3/4" and 1". Does anyone know where I should look for one that is a bit larger and already well established? I would prefer it to come with a complete setup, but can provide an enclosure if necissary. Does anyone have one for sale for an excited beginer?
If you can only find a sling, it may still be doable, provided you've read the right information and seek feedback on the enclosure.

Tarantula Information for Beginners (and More) contains links to a basic primer on care as well as more specific guides for Avicularia/Caribena.

I agree with the recommendation to buy the tarantula and enclosure separately (or at least not be married to the idea of buying them together).

Aunyanka Alexander

Arachnopeon
Moderator note: We don't allow "where to buy" inquiries on the forum or solicitations of reviews outside of the review section. For instructions on using our classifieds, see, "Where to Buy" Inquiries. For reviews, see User Reviews and Dealer Reviews.

If you can only find a sling, it may still be doable, provided you've read the right information and seek feedback on the enclosure.

Tarantula Information for Beginners (and More) contains links to a basic primer on care as well as more specific guides for Avicularia/Caribena.

I agree with the recommendation to buy the tarantula and enclosure separately (or at least not be married to the idea of buying them together).
I am sorry! I was so excited to find an active tarantula forum that I jumped right in! But thank you for the direction!

Your best bet is to get an enclosure, read up on the"how do I house my caribena versicolor?" threads, set your enclosure up, then post a thread looking for input on your enclosure/setup, and THEN purchase the tarantula.

Getting someone to sell you the tarantulas and the enclosure is going to cost a bunch more for shipping and you'll still have to do the setup when it arrives.
True, the reason I havent purchased an enclosure yet is because I am unsure if I'll be able to find/afford a larger specimen like I was hoping. It would be disappointing to have a beautiful terrarium set up only to have to wait several years for my T to grow into it, meanwhile housing it in a deli cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am sorry! I was so excited to find an active tarantula forum that I jumped right in! But thank you for the direction!
No worries. We're fairly strict about ads or reviews (outside of their designated sections), because otherwise we'd have people who just want to use our site to advertise without contributing to our community (either by posting regularly as an "Active Member" or by purchasing an upgrade to help pay for our server costs).

Welcome to the hobby and our site! I see you've already achieved "Active Member" status.

Aunyanka Alexander

Arachnopeon
Update:

A good friend of mine sold me her carebena versicolor and grammastola rosea so I am now a proud owner of 2 adorable juveniles! Pics coming soon!

cold blood

Staff member
True, the reason I havent purchased an enclosure yet is because I am unsure if I'll be able to find/afford a larger specimen like I was hoping. It would be disappointing to have a beautiful terrarium set up only to have to wait several years for my T to grow into it,
Well a versi sling grows waaaay faster than that.