Queen Wasp

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today I was walking around my house when I spot a huge yellow jacket hanging out on one of my windows, anyways I ran got a cup and took a few pictures, Is this Wasp a Queen? Also it is not very active, (responds slowly) I tried to transfer it from a cup to a glass and it didn't even attempt to fly just walked over from one to the other, Do wasps die when they sting like bees? Heres two pictures, as for its size, about an inch.

Here ya go
Eric

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
doesn't look much like a queen to me. and no, wasps do NOT die like bees when they sting :eek: lord no, they just keep stingin the living crap outta things{D that is one of many differences between wasps and bees for future reference. oh, and nice hornet...:D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i guess i should've asked if it could fly and a couple of other questions before i said "it doesn't look like a queen". can it fly? do some research on the queens and see what you come up with. maybe someone who has a lot more experience with hymenoptera than me can help...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats not a wasp thats a yellow jacket(no idea what the scientific name is.) Evil little buggers though. You very may well have a queen. I have caught two this year. And I know they are queens they are 4 times bigger then any worker drone I have ever seen. I even followed one and waited till it left and dug up a small comb that had been started with a dozen eggs or so.
I have had zero sucess with keeping them though. I'll stick to paper wasps.

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a yellowjacket queen, probably Vespula maculifrons judging from the side picture. A picture of the top of the wasp would be best for an ID.

Nice find!! :cool:

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a yellowjacket queen, probably Vespula maculifrons judging from the side picture. A picture of the top of the wasp would be best for an ID.

Nice find!! :cool:
Yo, just figured out why it was slow moving, It was dying, and now dead, Guess my luck is not too amazing with em either lol,

I personally am looking for something to culture like a wasp, bee, hornet ect, so far all I can find are Bumble bees and Yellow Jackets, and a few tiny sub species that go through the holes I made over the years in my only net,