Quarantine blues

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Hello, friends.

I realized today that I've barely given a thought to my spiders this past two weeks and it kind of freaks me out.

I've been super focused on and into the hobby over the past year and a half specifically due to the amount of stress I was feeling because they relax me, so it's weird that my pandemic stress response is to suddenly just lay in bed and scroll through social media. I still feed and water them, but otherwise I'm not thinking about them at all.

How's everyone doing? Is quarantine affecting your relationship with your spiders?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Go in there and serenade them and whisper sweet nothings in their ear. They miss you man!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I've got a few that are ripe for a rehousing. I've always enjoyed setting up a new enclosure, but right now I'm just like UGH.

I think you're right, though. I think it would be best for me to put the social medias down and just spend some time with them, but the malaise is real, man.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Hello, friends.

I realized today that I've barely given a thought to my spiders this past two weeks and it kind of freaks me out.

I've been super focused on and into the hobby over the past year and a half specifically due to the amount of stress I was feeling because they relax me, so it's weird that my pandemic stress response is to suddenly just lay in bed and scroll through social media. I still feed and water them, but otherwise I'm not thinking about them at all.

How's everyone doing? Is quarantine affecting your relationship with your spiders?
I’m taking quarantine as an opportunity to obtain as many inverts as possible to ‘hone my technique;)’ Quarantine has affected me as well still... I do often feel like (and proceed to do so) sitting in bed on my phone in opposition to reading, mounting specimens(having an interest in entomology on a whole helps I suppose)/what I’d usually do a lot more of in my free time... Guess we see quarantine as an excuse to lounge about and do nothing with the lack of any prospects for upcoming months. The anticipation of new inverts is keeping me around and about making new cages though!

Chelsi666

Arachnopeon
A little. It has kicked some of us out of our routine. I wanted to do a photoshoot of my collection but couldn't get the motivation to do it. Had a couple molt tho and that was wonderful to see :) and I noticed something I never have before... it was so interesting. All the Ts on the same shelf would move and then stop at the exact same time. It was like....what is going on thats making them do that?? Anyways, dont get quarantine blues. You may find something new about them :)

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I’m taking quarantine as an opportunity to obtain as many inverts as possible to ‘hone my technique;)’ Quarantine has affected me as well. I do often feel like sitting in bed on my phone in opposition to reading, mounting specimens(having an interest in entomology on a whole helps I suppose/what I’d usually do in my free time... Guess we see quarantine as an excuse to lounge about and do nothing. The prospect of new inverts is keeping me around about making new cages though!
same here. I have been taking advantage of necessity buys. Places are selling stuff for cheap due to low turnout. I picked up a 3 1/4 inch b.hamorrii for $70 the other day. Sold it for cheap just to move it.

Tarantulas Golden

Arachnopeon
I've been spending more time with my spiders, since I no longer have to go to school and my family is very unsociable I spend a lot more time with my spiders 2 hours a day.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I check on them frequently throughout the day....although I'm actually just checking on one T and four blocked off burrows.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
C’mon! Turn that frown upside down, and go hang out with some creatures you KNOW won’t make you sick....

...unless of course they bite you. Because, you should realize they’re very happy you’re not bothering them.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I check on my slings 3 times per week now. I’m studying the strengths and weakenesses of using my iPhone to take images...lots of weaknesses but there are some pretty good strengths.

I did not like the way my springtails cultures were setup, so I ordered some plastic dinner containers and setup 6 cultures that I like much better.

I picked up a new table for use in my Spider Room down in the basement, and I'lll be setting up that room starting....Wednesday? Tomorrow I'm taking my grandson fishing.

Last edited:

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I check on my slings 3 times per week now. I’m studying the strengths and weakenesses of using my iPhone to take images...lost of weaknesses but there are some pretty good strengths.

I did not like the way my springtails cultures were setup, so I ordered some plastic dinner containers and setup 6 cultures that I like much better.

I picked up a new table for use in my Spider Room down in the basement, and I'lll be setting up that room starting....Wednesday? Tomorrow I'm taking my grandson fishing.
Oh I wish I could still fish now, living in an urban area in lockdown doesn’t exactly help... Have fun! I’d say this is a good opportunity for us all to refine our care, modify enclosures and enjoy the spoils of an indoor based hobby!:D

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Its understandable that during times of crisis,and uncertainty ,that we crave interaction from things that are sharing trouble with us.Humans,dogs,cats,heck even our reptiles,give us a rock
to grasp at.We can hold them,interact with them in ways we cant with regards to T,s.
Whats happening in the world at this time,takes the enthusiasuim for many things away.
I suspect,that this pandemic,will separate the true tarantula enthusiast,from those that think keeping these animals are cool and edgy..

And now,i will take off my glasses,and cease my Sigmund Freud impersonation.:D.Now go rehouse those OW,s you have been putting off,and have a long
meaningful talk with that A.geniculata about gluttony. ,and moderation.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I suspect,that this pandemic,will separate the true tarantula enthusiast,from those that think keeping these animals are cool and edgy..
What this pandemic is demonstrating is that we all deal with extreme stress in different ways. Definitely not time to whip out ye olde "only real tarantula keepers" schtick.

Stay safe, @Colorado Ts ! Catch some big ones.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Oh yeah.... I was keeping T’s before it was even cool. Come at me bro’s!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
...forgot to mention. I ordered a group of 10 Praying Mantis Egg Cases and some 32oz deli cups with ventilated lids.

My grandsons and I will be hatching out Praying Mantis...es?

I've read about it, always wanted to try it...so yeah, spring project.

And this next summer and for a couple summers to come, when the grand kiddos catch Praying Mantids around the neighborhood, they will know where they came from...Cool Factor.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think a lot of it is just feelings of depression in general. Being confined all day in your home with nobody to really talk to or nothing to do isn't exactly great for our mental health. Even though we may not realize it upon first glance, also keep in mind that what we're dealing with right now is very stressful in a variety of ways, and everyone reacts to stress differently. It may be hard to focus on hobbies when someone's mind is focused on keeping them and their families safe.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've barely given a thought to my spiders this past two weeks and it kind of freaks me out.
When you are ready to sell, let me know.

is to suddenly just lay in bed and scroll through social media
Sounds like depression or shear boredom, who knows.
Social media is anything BUT social. It's one of the worst things people can watch. It does nothing positive for men or women. Women really get the worst of it too.