Quantity vs Quality

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I recommend keeping them small.

I realized that I enjoyed my collection more when I only had 9 or so. I am only keeping around 100 now for breeding and to study and understand the differing behaviors of individual spiders of the same species.

When I have had enough, I do plan on going back to 10-15 T's.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My current collection of 28 is perfect for me right now; I have lots of different species to observe, and I can see them all regularly. Their care is far from a chore.

Once I move into a bigger place, though, I'd like to expand my collection. I could see myself having around 100 within the next year or two, and maybe trying my hand at breeding eventually.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I recommend keeping them small.

I realized that I enjoyed my collection more when I only had 9 or so. I am only keeping around 100 now for breeding and to study and understand the differing behaviors of individual spiders of the same species.

When I have had enough, I do plan on going back to 10-15 T's.
.... EXACTLY... a high numbered collection is great for breeding and im even gonna take my stab at it here pretty soon , only because i want to take the next step... i ma or may not just give the slings away who knows.. either way, i think a smaller collection would be easier to manage also. tarantula husbandry IMO isnt a chore as i look after ALL my pets ( ts , pitbull, and my rot) the same way i take care of my 6yr old lol... at least to the basics... FOOD, CLEAN SHELTER, WATER. i just dont see uppin my PERSONAL collection to past 15ish

Unravel

Arachnosquire
I love having a 50+ collection, it lets me buy/sell/trade Ts without feeling like im losing something i really like, and i still have my 15 Ts or so that i love and will not let go. It also allows you to experience more species. My upkeep is ONLY a chore because i have lots of planted tanks that require maintenance. I can see upkeep being an issue with larger collections like 150+ etc.

In the end, its what you want to get out of the hobby. If you have personal attachment with certain Ts then a small collection is very enjoyable. If you just love collecting and trading etc, then a larger collection is great.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is where I have the best of both worlds. I have a large collection. 400 or so with a couple more hundred on the way (I shouldn't count my eggsacs before they hatch). The best thing about it, all my species are in social/communal tanks. That means I only have 21 enclosures (not including segregated females and slings) that I have to feed every week. Which leaves me with about the same amount of work as a "small" collection. :D

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
abaraxas that's just cheating :) not all of us are so lucky as to have vast communals on the go :p

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Some people treat them like pokemon cards and just buy, sell, and trade them on a whim. They keep 90% of their collection in opaque storage boxes stacked on top of one another.
I like to treat them more like pets then a rock collection or something, and I find it preferable to house them all in nice cages that you can actually see into to observe them. I have maybe 30(?) T's, 3 'pedes, a scorpion, 2 roach colonies, a cricket colony, 2 black widows, a boa, a cat, and 2 dogs and every single one is housed and cared for as if it were my only pet.
I do get that neurotic feeling of wanting to buy up all the cool T's that I come across, but thats when the responsible adult part of me has to come out and tell me that these are living creatures and a long term responsibility.

As far as taking care of them, I don't look at it like a chore at all. For me it is my relaxing time to interact with my animals. Some people like to watch tv when they are at home or work on their cars, etc, but my hobby is animals so I very much enjoy any chance I get to be upclose and personal with them.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Curious.

Is there more to see, with a small collection?

I have a small collection of tarantulas, and there location in my home allows me to view them all regularly. Weekly feeding is entertaining to watch.

Sure, large collections are impressive, but honestly how much do you really see? Feeding would seem more a chore when the numbers get up there.
Well, I see more spiders than you ....lol. I have 50+, some I see all the time, others I see maybe a few times a month and others you have to tease out of their burrows to catch a view. How many T's you have should not factor into how much you enjoy them imo. Love what you got I guess is what I am saying.
Feeding is not too much of a chore with the amount I have, into the 100's of T's would be a chore for sure!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, but life happens.

I consider my "T's" pets (all 7 of them), raising all of these since slings parting with them would be difficult. Perhaps with a large collection they are less pets and more collection which may be easier to part with if needed.

A small collection can be maintained, when relationship/school/career change. When a hobby makes you consider altering the advancement of any of the above, it should seriously be reconsidered.

Just a thought.

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the smaller collection mentality. I only have 9 myself, and I find they are highly manageable and varied enough to stay interesting.

That said, I also agree with abraxascomplex. If there was a larger hobbyist community in ontario, and Ts were cheaper in Canada I would probably have more so that I could trade. Getting new Ts and setting up new enclosures is a lot of fun, it's not just about maintaining them.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
True, but if you plan to keep what you have on display (I do, it's my preference). As they mature seven ten gallon tanks is manageable (Or so I think, at the moment), I can only imagine a major life change occurance with 100 + "T's".

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well that's just it... I'm only willing to commit so much space in my house to my collection. I haven't got room for a wall full of tanks. My collection is limited to what I can fit in and on top of a single TV wall unit.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
True, but if you plan to keep what you have on display (I do, it's my preference). As they mature seven ten gallon tanks is manageable (Or so I think, at the moment), I can only imagine a major life change occurance with 100 + "T's".
I have several hundred tarantulas, and I don't find it life changing at all.
For me it just means a few extra hours a week for feeding. Also all of mine are in a room and on display.

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey fartowski, want me to take a couple off your hands? ;)
You won't even notice they're gone! ... well maybe you will lol

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hahahaha
The funny thing is, I probably would notice if any were missing.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I'm at 7, but looking for more. I agree with wanting to be able to keep all of mine such that they are attractively displayed and can be seen. But I like variety, and if a few species are pet holes (like my P. irminia sling currently is) you can only enjoy that particular one so often. So get another T to amuse you while one is being uncooperative :p

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people treat them like pokemon cards and just buy, sell, and trade them on a whim. They keep 90% of their collection in opaque storage boxes stacked on top of one another.
I like to treat them more like pets then a rock collection or something, and I find it preferable to house them all in nice cages that you can actually see into to observe them. I have maybe 30(?) T's, 3 'pedes, a scorpion, 2 roach colonies, a cricket colony, 2 black widows, a boa, a cat, and 2 dogs and every single one is housed and cared for as if it were my only pet.
I do get that neurotic feeling of wanting to buy up all the cool T's that I come across, but thats when the responsible adult part of me has to come out and tell me that these are living creatures and a long term responsibility.

As far as taking care of them, I don't look at it like a chore at all. For me it is my relaxing time to interact with my animals. Some people like to watch tv when they are at home or work on their cars, etc, but my hobby is animals so I very much enjoy any chance I get to be upclose and personal with them.
Well put! I couldn't agree more. If I had an entire room and lots of money to put into making everything look amazing, I think it would easily be possible to attractively display a few hundred Ts. I only see myself acquiring a huge collection under these circumstances, and/or if I get into breeding. Otherwise, I'll stick with a modest 30 - 40 (including small slings).

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, but life happens.

I consider my "T's" pets (all 7 of them), raising all of these since slings parting with them would be difficult. Perhaps with a large collection they are less pets and more collection which may be easier to part with if needed.

A small collection can be maintained, when relationship/school/career change. When a hobby makes you consider altering the advancement of any of the above, it should seriously be reconsidered.

Just a thought.
Well said.

Bumblingbear

Arachnopeon
I could definitely see myself getting more in the future to breed, but I only want a few more right now.

I want my collection to reflect most spiders found in the hobby in one particular genus (well known ones), and a few others for fun.