Quantity vs Quality

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Curious.

Is there more to see, with a small collection?

I have a small collection of tarantulas, and there location in my home allows me to view them all regularly. Weekly feeding is entertaining to watch.

Sure, large collections are impressive, but honestly how much do you really see? Feeding would seem more a chore when the numbers get up there.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i agree totally ... i have 9 ts as of now and theyre all slings. between the way theyre housed currently, and the fact that i got em in my livin room i view mine quite regularly as well. it will be REALLY awesome soon when i get them all in REAL enclosures. i see photos in these forums where people have COUNTLESS ts , and i wonder why too. unless youre a breeder or somethin i think their should be SOME sorta limit, but thats just my opinion. when ya got 100 ts do ya really get to enjoy them? i mean.. you enjoy the fact ya HAVE them, but you cant possibly tell me ya enjoy 100 more then once upon a time when ya got your 5th or 10th t...

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when ya got 100 ts do ya really get to enjoy them?
I try to keep my numbers down for that reason. For me, too many would become more of a chore than a hobby. I have 23 Ts and a communal P. imperator tank right now, and they are still fun. When it becomes a chore, then I will have to thin my numbers.

I felt bad today when I was running back and forth checking on the molting LP and didn't notice till way after the fact that one of the B. vagans slings had molted as well. Had it been a regular work day for me, I would have missed both molts anyway...

VinceG

Arachnobaron
I like big collections, although mine is quite small for the moment, because it allows you to work with a lot of different species and each has his particularity. I recently fell in love with the genus Heterothele, they are really nice and underated species, and I enjoy all of my other spiders as well. Even if it can take a few hours to feed a whole collection (not mine), it's always fun to see their attacks and reaction. I don't consider it as a chore, but more as an entertaining moment. I have more fun watching my Ts eat then watching television for sure.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I like big collections, although mine is quite small for the moment, because it allows you to work with a lot of different species and each has his particularity. I recently fell in love with the genus Heterothele, they are really nice and underated species, and I enjoy all of my other spiders as well. Even if it can take a few hours to feed a whole collection (not mine), it's always fun to see their attacks and reaction. I don't consider it as a chore, but more as an entertaining moment. I have more fun watching my Ts eat then watching television for sure.
Me too. I do not have a large collection, but I do enjoy my time doing maintenance with them; very relaxing.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to <3 it when I hard a large collection of critters.

It's very relaxing learning about them everyday and feeding them :)

But now I only have 6 including my buns, shame... relax time is over so quickly....wait till i get my own place once I start university..it will be..shelfy..

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess everyone who has a "big" collection once said they were ok with a small one. I once said I would stop at a certain number... But I kept breaking that promise... haha

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Mines fairly large and I enjoy them. I think some people enjoy having 100 and others like 300 or even 1,000. It could become a chore if you lose interest in the hobby.

The way I see it: If I ever wake up one day and think I have too many I can always sell or give them away. :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
at one time I had around 150 or so. Its gets hectic if you live a busy lifestyle and can become a chore.

I enjoyed it very much, wasnt that hard to care for, but money got tight and hand to sell some.

I am hovering around 50 or so(I quit counting a while back)

I think the most time consuming this when you get into larger collections and start breeding is feeding the slings.

I have literally had so many slings I gave them away. I wish I knew an easier way to catch just the small Lateralis roaches I keep. That alone would make feeding smaller slings a lot easier.

Like any hobby it takes devotion, especially when dealing with live animals.

I love them all, doesnt matter if I had 1000 plus, or 1...

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I have 17 Tarantulas and 1 True Spider at this point and it's tough, but it's still okay. 7 of the T's are in their "adult" enclosures and the other 10 are in Deli Cups or Vials. I really need to become a lot better organized in writing feeding times down and other information though. I seem to forget about them sometimes. I'm not really good with pets that need maintainance every day! That's why spiders work out so well for me! At worst I miss filling a water dish. I haven't missed any feedings or anything! And my P. chordatus just molted today too! See? Now I should write that down somewhere! I really need a secretary!!!

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally I keep them because I like them.
For myself as well I don't need a huge collection, they are all addicting and easy to care for, So get what you want / like. Doesn't necessarily make you cool if you have 200 vs 2 . I like all mine and I don't envy people with more nor less. Shaw :cool:

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think personally think the two best parts of tarantula keeping in feeding and molting times. In this case, a lot of tarantulas is much more fun.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have literally had so many slings I gave them away. I wish I knew an easier way to catch just the small Lateralis roaches I keep. That alone would make feeding smaller slings a lot easier.
Putting opaque/black film cases with a hole in the lid only just big enough for baby roaches to get inside within your roach bin will concentrate the little ones. I tried this with much success

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I have just under 90 T's so.. a medium/large collection?

When I had 12 or so, I did pay more attention to each. ( but I was still learning basic care )

Now I still pay attention (to the ones who allow me to) just less per T is required. I prefer to "let them be" and I think they have little problem with that.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had about 50 at one time, it became a chore for me. I have 2 small kids and a demanding career that requires frequent travel. I finally came to the conclusion that I do not have time for myself let alone my spiders.

I've down sized to 17 and will still downsize at least another 4. I'm trying to get down to only Brachys as they suite my lifestyle best, at the moment.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My collection floats around between 50 and 60, depending on trades and such. I like having more, and with scheduled days for cleaning/feeding, it's really not that much work. However, I am a stay-at-home mom, so I have more time than most to devote to them.