Qns on my millipedes

Abel

Arachnosquire
I am new to this millipede keeping thing. I have a whole box of scarlet millipede babies. They are 2 weeks old. So I would like to know
1. How long they take to grow into adults
2. any special requirements? I keep them in potting soil with some dead leaves
3. Lifespan of scarlets
Thks!:)

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can answer question 2 for yah! I would add some rotting wood for them to feed on as well. I've never bred millis so I can't answer the others.

Abel

Arachnosquire
I can answer question 2 for yah! I would add some rotting wood for them to feed on as well. I've never bred millis so I can't answer the others.
Thanks for your reply! So do I just collect pieces of wood and sticks from like grass patches etc

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for your reply! So do I just collect pieces of wood and sticks from like grass patches etc
Rotting hardwoods from deep in the forest is best (less chance of pesticides or anything like that). You'll probably want to freeze the wood too just to knock down any potential pests.

Abel

Arachnosquire
Also last question do these millipedes have a breeding season or do just breed when they are comfortable in the cage.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Microwaving or putting forest material in the oven also works. I have a substrate prep guide on my website, which is linked in my sig if you were interested.

It depends on the species, in terms of scarlets they just breed when they are old enough and comfortable.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah, like others have suggested, the substrate should mostly be made up of well rotted wood and dead leaves, as that is the main food source for the millipedes. And additional layer of leaves can be added on top of the substrate to help induce egg laying in some species.

Also, make sure your potting soil does not have any additives in it, as those can be harmful to your pedes. Popular brands like Miracle-Gro are almost never safe to use for pets, as they often have additives and fertilizers that can poison inverts that eat it. The really cheap stuff that is pretty much just ground up forest products should be safe to use, in addition to the wood and leaves of course. :)

Abel

Arachnosquire
Thank you all for your replies! I am using organic potting soil:)

Abel

Arachnosquire
I would like to give my pedes a water source in the form of a bottle cap. Do I need to bury like 3/4 of the cap or will they climb up the cap to drink? Its juz a regular fizzy drink bottle cap

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A water source probably isn't necessary since they should be getting most of their water from the food, but if you do still want to add one, make sure there's something in there for them to be able to climb out (small pebbles work pretty well). I would probably bury a little bit of the cap at least just to make sure they can access it.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
No water cap necessary. I breed millies and don't use a single one!

Abel

Arachnosquire
Think I'll use the cap for food dish instead. Easier to clear if turn mouldy