Q: Imaginal molt of Pamphobeteus sp

GBBFreak

Arachnopeon
Hey folks
My 1.0 P. sp mascara just molted this afternoon (was probably around 13-14cm DLS, 4-4 1/2" premolt). Went back on his feet, then tonight went back into some weird position (he's inside his cave and it's hard to see clearly what's goin' on down there). Now, I'm only assumin' he's havin' his imaginal molt, he used to be a dull brown/tan, now he's a beautiful jet black (just like my 0.1 did few weeks ago). 20220807_152911.jpg
This photo was taken right after the molt. Just to illustrate the color change.

So it's a double Q I guess:
1/ Do Pamphobeteus sp turn from dull brown to jet black on their imaginal molt? Or already before that stage?
2/ Is it common for males of this sp or other Ts to 'get ready for business' on the same day they molted?
I'm not overly concerned, just wonderin' if it's normal.
Thanks for your answers. 🙏
Cheers!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Same day- no- need to harden just like all Ts after all molts

GBBFreak

Arachnopeon
Same day- no- need to harden just like all Ts after all molts
Thanks, I was thinkin' it would be weird. Then I wonder what it was doin' there. Like, post-molt strechin' again? Ever seen that happen?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, I was thinkin' it would be weird. Then I wonder what it was doin' there. Like, post-molt strechin' again? Ever seen that happen?
nope- I don’t wonder about such things

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I become a "helicopter keeper" post moult :rofl: I don't interfere but I do check on them more regularly throughout the next couple of days. My T. albo was the last of my decent sized spiders to moult, various post moult stretch positions over the first week or so.

GBBFreak

Arachnopeon
I mean, it's not bein' a helicopter keeper; it's just about ensurin' everything is goin' well with the T. As long as you don't interfere, it barely even qualifies as such!
Thanks a lot for confirmin' this (kind of weird) habit of your T!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1/ Do Pamphobeteus sp turn from dull brown to jet black on their imaginal molt? Or already before that stage?
Only Pamphobeteus sp. I own is a P. cf. "antinous" female and it's normal for her to go from jet black after she's just moulted to a brownish black over the course of a moult cycle. A tarantula's colours are most vibrant shortly after a moult and can fade with time.

GBBFreak

Arachnopeon
I thought the dull brown/tan was like the juvie colour, and turnin' a more solid black when nearin' its mature stage. Thanks for the info! :cool: I guess it had molted quite some time before I acquired, then.