Q for the scorp pros

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I have been think about getting a scorpion again but not a emp. Any suggestions for a good starter other than an emperor. Thanks for any help. :D ;) :)

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you could try the desert hairy (hadrurus arizonensis).

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Lets see...Heterometrus spinifer..Malasian Forest scorp4-6"...thought they look nearly the same as emps and require the same environment...Opistophthalmus sp...they range in size from about 2.5" to 4.5" depending on the species you end up with...hard to find as juvies so you will most likely get an adult and therefore will not know how old it is once you get it ...same thing with Hadrurus arizonensis or Hadrurus spadix....they both get to 3-5" as adults though are now in season and cost is low...there are many other good US species that are on the smaller size...V. spinigerus, C. vittatus, C. exilicauda(alittle hot) all three of these are usually at a good price and easy to care for.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Savian,

It all depends on why you don't want an emp and what qualities you want in a scorp. A few of the more common/recommended starting scorps are:

Heterometrus sp. -- Asian Forest Scorpion, Thailand Black etc. These guys get about as big as the emps, have the same care requirements as the emps and can be kept communaly and bred fairly easily like the emps. They look a bit cooler in my eyes, though, and are a lot quicker and more agressive than emps.

Hadrurus sp. -- Desert Hairies etc. I have no personal experience with these guys, but they are a nice large beginning desert scorpion. I understand they are quite the diggers.

Hadogenes sp. -- The flat rocks and the like. Very impotent venom, so very handleable as scorps go (you should never handle any scorp, but if you are going to, these are the guys to do it with). Sometimes hard to find on the market and rather unimpressive behaviouraly.

Opisthathalmus sp. -- These seem to be the new trendy thing in scorpions. I have no personal experience with them.

In the end, however, it is all going to be up to what you want and what care requirements you want to have to meet. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Dave

EDIT: Kug and I should never be on at the same time -- we'd save ourselves a lot of overlap. ;)

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The truth is I am tired of the emps. The just hide most of the time and have become very unapealing to me as of late. I want to go with some thing that will be more active and a little more aggresive. The forest scops and such are hard to find here. And most of the people can't tell the differents any how. Plus I don't trust they will be right. I was looking at maybe desert but it is very humid at times out on the island. Like now it just got done raining and I am sitting here sweating. So with that said would I have to worrie about the humidity here? Can that kill them? You guys have given me some good choices now it is time to pick. Thanks.:D ;) :)

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Asian Forrest Scorpions, Flat Rock Scorpion, Desert Hairy Scorpion, Deathstalker Scorpion.