Pyxie frog pictures

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Woah 5 pyxies! Those things look huge!

Haha, what's up with the second pic, what is it doing?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Wow, how many do you keep together? THose pictures are awesome along with that enclosure. Can you catch these where you live, or were you just comparing it with the pond picture? :?

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DAYUM!!! Awesome pics and enclosures.

That middle frog in first pic looks very brown, wonder if it's a dwarf.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Woah 5 pyxies! Those things look huge!

Haha, what's up with the second pic, what is it doing?
The last pic is a big male swallowing and tucking his eyes in as he straightens his preys tail out for easy passage into his gut.

As for the group shots, the first one is for display only I'd imagine, theyre not the most social creatures, but who knows. As for the smaller pond picture, thats a group of pyxies mating in a pool that collected after some rains.
They are native to sub-saharan Africa...I am in Arizona, so naturally no, I cannot catch them here, I was simply showing some pics.
Yes, they do have cannabalistic tendencies, particularly at younger ages. They usually only congregate to mate. However the top group picture may be an acception simply because theyre all so massive that they really wont do each other any harm, I'm sure theyd realize theyre all a little too big to eat. As I mentioned, its possibly a picture just to show them off and exemplify the amazing amount of variation between Pyxies, from females to dark males and lighter males and varying head and snout shapes.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DAYUM!!! Awesome pics and enclosures.

That middle frog in first pic looks very brown, wonder if it's a dwarf.
Nope, pure, big adspersus. Just goes to show the immense amount of varation in the species.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it is quite cool how varied they can be.. some are an amazing vivid green and others look like mud. and the range of head structures gives them each their own bit of character. I love these frogs.. I want mine to come out of the dirt now.. lol

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a little vid

here is my boy inhailing a mouse

[YOUTUBE]8zlWeLpGjkk[/YOUTUBE]

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Goomba: Those are all your photos correct? To be honest,I'd add more digging area in that enclosure, but i'm guessing the slate is to prevent them from kicking dirt into the water.

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
love to see everyone's pyxies, feel free to post yours, but it's not a requirement. i was going to get my pyxie, Borchmore, out and take some pics of him, but he was trying to eat me when i was standing 3 feet away, so i decided i should probably stay away from his mouth. here are the pics i did get, before and after he lept at me with his mouth open and tongue out.
edit: btw, that's his temporary home while i wait for our basement (his normal dwelling) to warm up.

eh, he's happy. it's not like they move very much. they just dig all day and eat... i used to have a pixie. my ex stole it and killed it. dont know how. as there really isn't much to maintaining one.my pixie ate american bull frogs.. haha!!

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NEW PYXIE VIDEO!!!

Heres a video fo Goomba eating his latest victim, a plumped up baby bird. Read the description for more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaISK4Hg2Xg Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb35H-TOIO8 Part 2

Excuse the mediocre lighting and camera work. Enjoy.

Edit: It was a cowbird hatchling, a week or two old. My old man and I were cutting palms and came upon the idea of using the egg we found to feed the beast, we kind of let it be for a while, keeping an eye on it, and eventually once it plumped up Goomba devoured him. I don't think I'll ever have Goomba eat anything that big again (once again, my dad fed him while I was gone, haha), but I'm happy with how pissed and voracious he was. This is his third, and biggest bird yet, and most likely his last, I'm sticking to Orange Head roaches twice a week, with a small mouse 1-2 times a month for a while. Though it's hard to tell with the poor lighting and angle, he seems to have grown a tad, though his growth rate has kinda slowed after he hit roughly 6 inches svl.

Last edited: