Python

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, does any one know the habitat/migration of a Python? Last night i saw a vehicle stop infront of the woods next to my house and drop something off, since i didnt hear a dog or cat i figured it was just trash. Tonight i saw a 2 foot Tanish/gold Python with almost black markings, my dad went to chase it off with a 7 foot branch and even when he touched the snake with it it just slowly slithered off, did not show aggression twards the stick at all. So i know that had to have been what the people dropped off last night. Im woundering if it will leave my property all together or if i should get my snake friend to come catch it. I have two cats that live outside and already showed thay wanna "play" with it. The markings look very much simmular to the Retic i had for awile, and i know if this one is a retic it will grow very fast.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I would catch it or have someone catch it. Regardless of where it is going to go, (can't really say for sure, since it's not the snakes natural environment) it is not a native species, and won't stand much chance if temperatures and humidity aren't suitable for it. A python has no place in the wild in Dayton, for it's own good and the ecosystem around it.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found pics of pythons with the exact same markings, it is a Retic. My friend is comming over in the morning to look for it and catch it. He currently owns 7 retics and 15 other types of Pythons so hes gunna keep it. I know one thing, it will be beautifull when its adult, it already is but it will be even more so. Black and Gold Retic, wow.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Releasing any tropical snake into Ohio is a death sentence for the snake, and adds another ingot to the fire used to burn ALL reptile owners at the stake. Ohio's governor Strickland recently made a deal with the Devil(actually, it makes Satan look bad to associate his name with HSUS), Wayne Pacelli(yes, that is the REAL spelling) of HSUS, to eliminate exotic pets from Ohio. This was part of a deal in which HSUS would basically get to eliminate dog breeders and exotic animal owners, in exchange for not implementing a statewide ballot initiative to take over Ohio's animal-based agriculture. This no doubt has a lot of exotic owners, who aren't dedicated enough to fight this, abandoning their animals for fear of persecution. There is also the very real possibility that the release was deliberately staged by the very people who are pushing this sort of legislation, as it has happened before. Intentional releases of exotics by AR activists, especially where there is some sort of proposed ban on those animals, is one of their tools they use to gain sympathy for their cause-make it appear that exotics are running around everywhere, threatening people and pets and of course, being hurt themselves, and that it is all the fault of the exotic pet owners/breeders, so laws need to be passed to ban those animals so this won't happen again. This happened quite often in Florida, and in some cases, the AR perps got busted when the person they'd gotten the snake from recognized their animal on TV and provided contact info for the person who'd gotten it from them.

pitbulllady

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im in Dayton Texas, not Dayton Ohio, but it still is very interesting information, I went into labor Thursday morning and had my baby so my friend never was able to come look/catch the lil retic... if we spot it again its being cought and hes taking it.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be sure to get us some pictures of it if you do end up catching it.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will, and now i dont have the pregnancy hindering my ability to catch snakes, of course im still extreamly cautios using gloves, boots, protective clothing, a snake bag, and snake tongs.