Pyrrhocoris apterus!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Pyrrhocoris apterus, commonly known as the firebug or misnamed as the boxelder bug, is a species of flightless true bug. Until now, nothing has been known about them. However, I am beginning a breeding project so that they will be spread across the bug hobby and so that we can learn more about them! They are red and black with very interesting markings and live in Europe and Utah and the surrounding states. They're fairly small, about .45 inches or so, but their striking coloration is still sure to turn heads! I might be selling nymphs in a few months, so keep that in mind if you're interested!

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sorry to be negative here, but you're going to want to post a link rather than the actual image. It's against the TOS to post pictures that aren't yours.

I wish you the best of luck on your breeding venture, though!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Have you actually bred them successfully then? it would be cool if you were the first person to do so, and definitely don't be put off if nobody else has ever done it I was the first person to breed warrior beetles and successfully rear the larvae even though I was told it was unlikely so anything is possible.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Sorry to be negative here, but you're going to want to post a link rather than the actual image. It's against the TOS to post pictures that aren't yours.

I wish you the best of luck on your breeding venture, though!
Oh, thanks.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Have you actually bred them successfully then? it would be cool if you were the first person to do so, and definitely don't be put off if nobody else has ever done it I was the first person to breed warrior beetles and successfully rear the larvae even though I was told it was unlikely so anything is possible.
They're already mating! Hopefully they'll lay their eggs. I'm doing my best to simulate a natural environment for them.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
cool I haven't told anyone yet but I had my Pasimachus californicus mate again this year on multiple occasions so I may be producing them two years in a row! Then I'll be the first and second person to breed the species haha.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Update: They're breeding! I'm starting to get egg clusters hatching and even more eggs being laid. Might have nymphs for sale soon!

KuneHere

Arachnopeon
Hey are you still keeping them? I was thinking about starting a colony, so any info will be useful