Pyro fiends pics :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
just wanted to update everyone iv been slacking on pics lately with some real life stuff im juggling =[ BUT i have some macro accessories coming in and should be back up and running soon ;) so stay tuned!!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Wait do you own the mother rat that you got the pinkie from?
lollas right i breed all my rats for feeders[some stay as breeders and pets ofc] lol... i breed for color and personality and this one i could tell was going to be a standard agouti berkshire [wild brown color with white belly and feet] with normal ears.. also could tell it was male.. i have 2 agouti-berk males i dont need another XD so i tried it out.. she liked it, i may try her on a sickly looking fuzzy[lil bigger in size]. it apears to have been scratched and blinded =\ maybe shell eat it too XD if so im DEF getting it on video lol i tried her on a rat pup [which is about same length as her dsl with its tail] she was NOT digging that.. i had a 10 min vid of her hiding in her legs =[ when she walked out again i tried the pinkie thinking "shes not realy going to eat it, it wont move enough for her.." and didnt prepare camera... well... i was wrong XD wont make that mistake again XD

He breeds feeder rats for his reptiles hehe
thanks lola :D you was quick at the whip lmao

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Im not trying to sound like a tree hugger here.... but why feed live vertebrates in the first place? It is just causing unnecessary suffering. It's not like hungry T's won't accept prekilled... or crickets, super worms, dubia etc.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im not trying to sound like a tree hugger here.... but why feed live vertebrates in the first place? It is just causing unnecessary suffering. It's not like hungry T's won't accept prekilled... or crickets, super worms, dubia etc.
I've done it before as well, but have not in a while. Only reason I did it was for my gravid species, I mixed up their diet, which in the end, their sacs were full of more healthier eggs, and the offspring were bigger and healthier. There can be a few reason why you feed them to your T's. Main reason being that you save money on purchasing feeders such as crickets, superworms, or dubia. Another reason could be that you feed one feeder pinky to a specimen, that same specimen will not have to be fed for a while. If someone has a collection of 500, and you feed 1/4 of that collection pinkies, the next feeding won't have to be for another several weeks, vs if you feed crickets, you will be right back at it a few days to a week later. People have different opinions on feeders. If you breed mice and rats for that purpose only, don't see the problem with it, just as long as no pesticides are sprayed on, or around the feeders.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've done it before as well, but have not in a while. Only reason I did it was for my gravid species, I mixed up their diet, which in the end, their sacs were full of more healthier eggs, and the offspring were bigger and healthier. There can be a few reason why you feed them to your T's. Main reason being that you save money on purchasing feeders such as crickets, superworms, or dubia. Another reason could be that you feed one feeder pinky to a specimen, that same specimen will not have to be fed for a while. If someone has a collection of 500, and you feed 1/4 of that collection pinkies, the next feeding won't have to be for another several weeks, vs if you feed crickets, you will be right back at it a few days to a week later. People have different opinions on feeders. If you breed mice and rats for that purpose only, don't see the problem with it, just as long as no pesticides are sprayed on, or around the feeders.
+1, I haven't fed a vertebrate to a tarantula before, but I'm planning to with my P.Metallica, she's a picky eater and crickets aren't doing anything, her abdomens still that tiny 'post-molt' abdomen. I want to get a bit of meat on her, then switch back to crickets. Normally when a big t like her molts for me, they get fed 5-6 crickets at a time, every day until their abdomens are where I want them, which only takes 3 or so days, then put back to twice a month feedings. I think with picky adults, vertebrates are useful post molt. Plus I get mice for my snake anyway.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
+1, I haven't fed a vertebrate to a tarantula before, but I'm planning to with my P.Metallica, she's a picky eater and crickets aren't doing anything, her abdomens still that tiny 'post-molt' abdomen. I want to get a bit of meat on her, then switch back to crickets. Normally when a big t like her molts for me, they get fed 5-6 crickets at a time, every day until their abdomens are where I want them, which only takes 3 or so days, then put back to twice a month feedings. I think with picky adults, vertebrates are useful post molt. Plus I get mice for my snake anyway.
I don't get it though... why feed live? Because it's more entertaining? I know from personal experience that T's will accept prekilled mice.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't get it though... why feed live? Because it's more entertaining? I know from personal experience that T's will accept prekilled mice.

I never said I used live mice. I get frozen ones for my snake. Even if I did feed live, it wouldn't be for entertainment., plus I'd feel too bad for feeding live mice. I feel kind of bad feeding frozen.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well i used live because its just there.. I do have frozen but i didnt kniw if shed eat it... At the size i gave her the pray has no teeth, so nothing to worry about. I wouldnt use adult mice myself just due to the insizor size..

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Well i used live because its just there.. I do have frozen but i didnt kniw if shed eat it... At the size i gave her the pray has no teeth, so nothing to worry about. I wouldnt use adult mice myself just due to the insizor size..
Honestly, I think you should have killed it before feeding it to the T or used the frozen mice. Being impaled and digested alive is likely a fairly slow and painful death.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Honestly, I think you should have killed it before feeding it to the T or used the frozen mice. Being impaled and digested alive is likely a fairly slow and painful death.
Actually at that age a pibkie doesnt realy have many nerv endings.so its not bad... And they dont find frozen thawed in the wild buddy ;)

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Actually at that age a pibkie doesnt realy have many nerv endings.so its not bad... And they dont find frozen thawed in the wild buddy ;)
I agree with the argument that in the wild... if a T was to eat a rodent it would be a live rodent. But this isn't the wild.... why not save the rodent the suffering?...thats just the way I see it.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I agree with the argument that in the wild... if a T was to eat a rodent it would be a live rodent. But this isn't the wild.... why not save the rodent the suffering?...thats just the way I see it.
"but this isnt the wild" isnt a valid excuse to me tho..thats like saying because your not a wild ape you should keep your surroundings 100% sterile [which is why you get sick more] its not like im buying petstore rodents, or giveng them to her every day or anything [shes never had one sense the pic]..i had a LARGE litter from my bigger female. i wanted a variety of food for my T, whos fairly big and always hungry, so i tried it.. sure i could have unthawed an old mouse hopper from my freezer.. but A) i hear horror stories of the smell with a large pray item [pinkies bones are still soft and liquidish as aposed to the rotting remains of a mouse before the bolus stage] and B) i realy didnt want to waist a pray item and have the bacteria start to grow if she didnt want to eat it...

it was either die now young.. or have an 89% chance of growing up[the other 11% is fed at teenage stage] to be a full grown adult and be constricted to death by a big violent fm snake.. i dont freeze a whole lot of pray anymore they grow up just fast enough to be fed off as i need them, males a certain amount are kept for my bigger snake to eat, the rest are fed off as they grow, fms are either fed off as they grow or kept in another cage for grow-out if i like their color [or they are just too sweet and i fall in love].. so either way he had a 100% chance of death buddy.. it was the little bit of suffering now, or thrown in a tub to be constricted.. its the way of life for them here.. i spoil them as they grow anywho.. heck his mom just had grapes yesterday and mellon that day [remember because he almost blended in with the Mellon rein

and plus im trying to let my dubias add up more so cant be waisting my males or fm's lol

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The folowing pics all takeng with Nikon D5300. with 4x macro lense unless otherwize stated

My little dust specks who may be leaving in a week or so

Sp. Panama peekin his feet out for his wormie

Genic getting so big!

P. Cancerides mad at his kicking roach (too cute)

G. Pulchripes fm

Nhadu chromatus fm being her oh so pretty self out in the open on her rare occasion

P. Sp "purple" (still thinking cancerides instead)

P. Pulcher not wanting pic taken.. Looks like about to molt again tho

And ofcourse my new B.emilia male.. And whats that i spy.. Yes.. Heavy heavy premolt o_O

Oh almost forgot.. A pic for austin.. Kyanite the gbb is taken to her new log FINALLY it took her long enough.. Still in premolt tho xc taken with my phone lgg3 (and she was miving swatting at the roach so vey bad immage, but as you see she now uses it shockingly)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
wow hadnt looked at these on computer till just now.. wow i love those new lense attatchment XD no idea whats on pulchers cage tho o.0 roach food mush?? *shrug* cant see it in the dark room thats for sure lmao wonder if itl be as awesome if i use the 10x o.0 *tempting!* if you have a request dont be afraid to ask ill be sure to use the good camera ;P [as if you do cuz i have all of them posted pretty much lmao]

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I wanted to post back here but I,m busy watching my P. Cam molt and am waiting for it to flip back over to snatch the molt before he munches on it lol.. great pics pyro ;) new cameras and lenses always bring a lot of excitement (well in my case) LOL

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I wanted to post back here but I,m busy watching my P. Cam molt and am waiting for it to flip back over to snatch the molt before he munches on it lol.. great pics pyro ;) new cameras and lenses always bring a lot of excitement (well in my case) LOL
Its only been used 2 times at home and once for zoo trip (main reason to get the $1,000 bundle lol) i may try the 10x lense attatchment soon i felt like i seen every little spec of dust on the table when i put it on xD maybe thatl be fun xD