Pyramid head ants

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
found an ant on our backyard... ive made some google and i ended out here...
http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Ants_Philippines

genus Pyramica, pyramid headed ants w/c ventures on leaf litters, actually i found a colony of them on a 4kilo solid rock, they are hardy ants and seems to hold ground if you try to pick them up... (its hard to pick them, they are from 2-3mm long, they grip on the rock and then crouches so that youll miss them, they are slow runners and seems to like the humidity and coolness of the rock, the rock where they live is always weten from the water leaking on the containers we left on the backyard. ive also found that they cohabitate w/ some pillbugs(?) not sure if those are pillbugs because those ones are soft and fast runners, there are plenty of Heteropoda venatoria slings that venture on the same area, also there are plenty of empty exos of H. venatoria on the entrance of the colony. heres the surprising thing, they did actually have a specialized entrance and backdoors for their colony, they have a series or small entrances on the front and has a small hole (about 1inch diameter) at the back, there is where they keep the eggs and larvaes. along w/ some other ants debris mixed w/ soil and parts of H. venatoria. i saw a male (supposed to be a male) it has wings and more oval than the workers, the queen somehow is fatter a little bit than the rest.

my guesses will go for

Pyramica jacobsoni
Pyramica mitis
Pyramica scylla

dont ask for pics, i dont have a good cam that can zoom for that microscopic ant... LOL!!!! :D

so if anyone wants some specimens, you can contact me...
:p

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome!

How many did you find? They are like miniature Trap jaw ants.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome!

How many did you find? They are like miniature Trap jaw ants.

i did got a fat one, supposed te be a queen, the rest are workers, i think i got at least 20 pcs... it took me about 1 hour before i got them...

i tried to have some pics but it is still hard...
sorry for the quality...

look at the bottom part of the ant, it is actually the mouthparts... its quite long similar to trapjaws :p

for you to imagine how small they are...

cheers!!!

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i got the colony, i got 3 w/ wings and 2 fat ones...

i also got some larvaes and eggs, now... my problems is i dont know what is its latin name, i cant find any similar ant to it, Pyramica seems to suit but none on the species list...

i wish it is still unID and a new specie...
:D

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They are awesome little ants. However identification is very difficult even with the recent massive work done by Barry Bolton on these ants. Id love to see a sample I may be able to get a name on them by pulling a few strings.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
bump

^^

im working on the colony now. they already used the rock i provided for them..

still i dont know what to feed them, i always give them smaller ants w/o heads and some sugar.