Pvc for avic. Avic

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
Would it be ok if I get some smaller pvc for my avic to climb on if I put caps on it(no glue or cement just pushed on) and some bigger pvc for it to make its web/hide in? I won't be heating it just room temp. There will be of course misting. I don't think it will erode or cause any toxicity problems and it's a lot cheaper than having to buy or replace my current decor I got from my local exotic animal shop. What do you guys think about this.....I've never really used pvc for anything so I'm clueless if it would cause any problems. Thank you

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive used pvc for years. i even use it in my Theraphosa's cage. i only use it in one avic cage and she hasnt taken to it at all. i think thats just cause light gets in.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
If you cut the pvc it can slowly release toxic chemicals from what I read in a different thread.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Can you link me that post
I don't want to set off a panic for you so maybe you should read up on things and get additional opinions. I am NOT a plastics expert. I am an electrical engineer. If you decide to remove any PVC objects, I don't think you need to panic and change out all of them in one night, but I would switch them over time if they were in my tarantula enclosures.

It isn't the cutting that increases the outgassing of plastics. It is the heat. Usually cutting will create heat. I want to clear that up because some people use soldering irons and other tools for their creativity in this hobby as well. PVC continues to have outgassing over the entire life of the product. It just doesn't have a high level as it settles in open atmosphere and normal temperatures away from sunlight.

If you continue past the initial part of the article below (down a few paragraphs), you will find that it has been shown that outgassing does cause problems for certain electronic applications. Thus there has been a need for higher quality plastics to overcome the problem. Someone might argue that electronics heat up, but that is only the case in the electrical enclosure. Fiber Optic sensors and other optics are usually mounted out on the machinery rather than next to heat producing power supplies, transformers, etc. So the outgassing is occurring without you altering the plastic.

https://www.plastics-technology.com/articles/id/plasticsoutgassing

Some PVC is manufactured with DEHP in it. This chemical is banned in the EU. PVC is also being removed from the medical industry. In my view it isn't worth the roll of the dice for your treasured tarantulas. But this is a decision that you will need to make.

Here is an interesting article by a plastics manufacturer that also provides a different perspective. I noticed that in this article it mentions that Polyethylene (HDPE) also has a high outgassing rate. But since it isn't getting the attention there must be some difference on the chemicals involved that make it less of a health risk (is my guess). But maybe we need to study this more.

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/why-engineering-plastics-outgas-and-why-should-you-care.html

See also pages two and three of Let's see those enclosures!