Puzzled

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two species recently added to my collection (two h Gigas and one N vulpinus) since I got them I've only seen them once and I never seen them eat and I got em earlier this week tuesday morning...Am I ever going to see them again? I don't even see them when i go in there randomly in the middle of the night after 12 am but before 6 am....so are they ok? how can i tell if they are in there without risking injury or have them fly out the cage and get lost in the house?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas are obligate burrowers (aka "Pet Holes"). If you house them properly, adequate burrowing depth, you may never see them again. It's a risk you take buying a burrowing species. The vulpinus is terrestrial but tend to dig as slings, as most slings do. As it gets older it will be come more visible.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas are obligate burrowers (aka "Pet Holes"). If you house them properly, adequate burrowing depth, you may never see them again. It's a risk you take buying a burrowing species. The vulpinus is terrestrial but tend to dig as slings, as most slings do. As it gets older it will be come more visible.

Ok so with the Gigas how will I know if they are hungry? will they be out of their burrows at odd times of the day? or just earlier at night?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so with the Gigas how will I know if they are hungry? will they be out of their burrows at odd times of the day? or just earlier at night?
I toss a food item in the hole, if its wandering around the next day I remove it. Easiest way I can tell if its hungry or not. They are generally pigs and you'll see a ruckus if they are eating. I have truthfully never seen mine above ground except if its grabbing food. A friend of mine hears his out at night, but they run back into the burrow at the slightest movement or light.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The way I understand it, if you don't see them, you are probably doing a good job of taking care of them. Just make sure they have a water dish, and keep the substrate damp by occasional misting, and they will be fine.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The way I understand it, if you don't see them, you are probably doing a good job of taking care of them. Just make sure they have a water dish, and keep the substrate damp by occasional misting, and they will be fine.
Yup :clap: Cannot agree with you more on that one. The idea is to try and keep them as natural as possiblein an un natural environment. A happy gigas is one hiding in its burrow all day.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
everyone who responded to this post how big are all of yalls Gigs if you have one?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If possible can i see some pictures of yours? and how many crickets does it eat a week?
I don't have any pictures. It eats one dubia roach nymph a week. The nymph is about the size of a large cricket.

Last edited:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my 5 1/2 incher kinda sits in it's big hole.
it's not really a burrow, more like a hole near the side of the cage so it's not really hidden at all
seems pretty happy, it stoped eating for about a month so i thought it might be in premolt but it has eaten a couple of crickets in the past few days so maybe not

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my 5 1/2 incher kinda sits in it's big hole.
it's not really a burrow, more like a hole near the side of the cage so it's not really hidden at all
seems pretty happy, it stoped eating for about a month so i thought it might be in premolt but it has eaten a couple of crickets in the past few days so maybe not
Does it have enough substrate to burrow in? Say 8-10".

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeh it's got about 8"
i just put a piece of hollow bark and started a burrow for it
hopefully she goes goes into it
i know i probably won't see her as much but she will be happy