Put Our Fears to Rest? Molting C. versicolor Sling

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone, been lurking here for research for months now. Made an account a little bit ago but this is my first post.
I have 11 T's as of today (6 before) and have been through 4 successful molts even upright ones... this is the first one that concerns me.

First, let me start off by saying I'm aware of the 1000's of molt related posts and I do understand the best thing I can do is absolutely nothing.
That is what I am doing.

I guess I'm looking for similar stories or some hope? I dunno lol I don't have a lot of people to turn to about my spiders.

C. versicolor came in the mail today with some other slings.
We set it up in a makeshift enclosure made from a 1 piece bead bottle that was cut to create 2 pieces,
It opens from the bottom and is held closed by friction. There is a tiny gap between these 2 pieces.
Didn't worry about this gap because it is at the bottom, the sling is arboreal, and it can't escape from there anyways.

A few hours later, my GF noticed it was hanging out on the bottom leaf. Which is hugging a corner of the bottom piece. she picked up the enclosure to reapply the label which was falling off and that's when it jumped a little - she then noticed it was molting.
She put it down and we took a step back. She's worried that while trying to fix the label she may have tightened the enclosure seal slightly and trapped its new legs.

I do not think the legs are stuck... the gaps seem big enough that I'm telling myself it's using them for leverage.
but this is the longest sling molt we've ever dealt with so I am worried. Hell our G. pulchra molted sometime while we were at dinner for no more than an hour and a half.

progress wise - Its abdomen is completely out, carapace seems still attached to the bottom half but the "hood is popped" so to speak, and some new legs are out.
It is molting upright which I heard can be a concern but I've also been through those fine - The added stress of knowing it was disturbed and possibly trapped is freaking me out.

I don't have photos because I am honestly too nervous to go in that room right now...

Last edited:

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
Sometimes doing nothing won’t help either, here is a photo of my last c versi that had molting issues. If it’s stuck to the abdomen start here by dabbing the snake eat mount of water on the stuck area while only holding onto the molt (not the tarantula) what will happen is the t will recognize it either is stuck or that something has it and it will start to work more of itself out. The key is to not jerk and simply hold the molt so the tarantula can get itself out.
this c versi lost two legs during this process but is still eating like a champ and on its way to a healthy life. I had this same issue with an avic and rehoused to a larger enclosure with a lot of airflow, haven’t had any issues since.

Attachments

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Sometimes doing nothing won’t help either
Yes.. I am preparing to maybe do something about it. I would like to get more input and am reaching out everywhere I can. I was reading up about helping the way you have described. Just want to make sure I'm absolutely ready and sure of what I'm doing.

I really worry I will do more harm than good but I also don't want to wait too long and have everything harden.

The "good news" is we're only at most 6hrs into this molt. I read a lot where people waited a day or two and... well those didn't go so well.

Well, it's not "48 hours" style stuck between the walls of the enclosure as we were worried before, it has since repositioned those legs so I doubt it would be able to if that was the case

There was no sign of premolt, I assume shipping and rehousing stress caused it to do this.

Looks like the front legs are still in, maybe the underside of the carapace too - from the top I can see the new fangs and mouthparts are out.

Well, I read a post on Reddit, ( < Linked) while researching - obviously, I don't know how credible this person is.

They mention that asymmetrical molting is a bad sign (apparently my versi's situation with it being the front still in is the worst case)...

Currently, this has been going on for about 4-6hours that post says they would intervene for a sling in 30 minutes of no progress.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
A versi sling molts pretty quick from start to finish, 10-20 minutes max in my experience with them and avics slings in general. The upright molt takes more energy, but 6hrs does not sound good.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I went ahead with trying to help it. Seems the consensus and research pointed to a dead spider anyways so I rolled the dice before the new parts could harden in the molt.

Seems its front 2 legs and pedipalps on each side were stuck, luckily its fangs, carapace, abdomen, and back 2 legs on each side made it out.

I used a brush and water to coax its other 4 legs out. Took a break once the legs were out, it started stretching them so I hope they will fill in nicely.
I also tried the method suggested by Jaromy above, but it did not seem interested in pulling out when I did this. It did however work with me as I worked the brush, pulling back and managing to get some legs out by itself.

I had some trouble with the pedipalps and although I was very careful we, unfortunately, lost them.

The whole process took 4 hours. it is now 3am.

Put it in a deli cup with substate and some fake leaves. I doubt it will do much climbing for a bit if it survives.
I'll be letting it rest up for a good week and I'll try feeding it some pre-killed feeders.

I've named it Joshua Graham cause I want to believe nothing can kill this sob. Fingers crossed.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Nice! You never know, T’s with worse molts like no fangs or sucking stomachs have survived to their next molt. Still not over the hurdle, but it’s alive. It’ll probably need water after all of that.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Nice! You never know, T’s with worse molts like no fangs or sucking stomachs have survived to their next molt. Still not over the hurdle, but it’s alive. It’ll probably need water after all of that.
Yes I am hopeful, Thank you for the positive vibes!

There is a water dish and I misted a side of the cup, I also periodically gave it some water while working with it, so hopefully nice and hydrated.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Well looks like we both had molts tonight, my Avic Avic M6 is just about done.

The good thing about slings is they molt more frequently. Got my fingers crossed for your little one. If it has the fortitude and a little help from you its possible it can bounce back to normal over the next couple of molts. Some T’s molt during transit or shortly after, just unfortunate timing.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Well looks like we both had molts tonight, my Avic Avic M6 is just about done.

The good thing about slings is they molt more frequently. Got my fingers crossed for your little one. If it has the fortitude and a little help from you its possible it can bounce back to normal over the next couple of molts. Some T’s molt during transit or shortly after, just unfortunate timing.
My avic may also be molting soon, lol.

Yup It is a big ol molting month for me it seems. H colombia and G pulchra both molted right side up but finished just fine.
My largest T, an A seemanni, also molted last night, I didnt notice till this morning as it was just finishing.100% normal upside down molt thank god.

This morning the versi hasnt moved at all since i put it in the delicup but im really not surprized. Im sure the poor thing is exhasted.

The back legs are looking good tho. Not curling in. They look pretty normal and its actually holding itself up on them.

Does anyone have experience with flacid legs after a molt or situation like this?

3 of the legs i had to work out are forward and flacid. The fourh is curled under its carapace.

I know it needs to pump fluids into these legs. It did a little of that last night whenever id take a breather but has since stopped. As I said, im sure its too tired to do anything right now

Last edited: