Purseweb spider hunting tips?

hecklad

Arachnosquire
I live in southeast TN and we are supposed to have 3 different species here. What should I look for and what kind of habitats are they found in? Does elevation have an effect on whether they can be found or not?

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look on the sides of trees, especially around ant populations. Sides of and under rocks, as well. My first purseweb was actually found in a tube web under a large rock. They're very hard to spot but normally if you find one, you find more.

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Look on the sides of trees, especially around ant populations. Sides of and under rocks, as well. My first purseweb was actually found in a tube web under a large rock. They're very hard to spot but normally if you find one, you find more.
Would they be easier to catch during the day or at night or does it matter?

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think it really matters, but I've never tried hunting them at night. Their webs are hard enough to keep track of during the day!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I was searching for these all across Denmark on our recent holiday there but I never found any :( no tips from me but definitely keep us updated in case you find one

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Apparently, everyone finds non-theraphosid mygalamorphs except for me, nowadays.

I work at a zoo, so I'm obviously surrounded by a bunch of people who love animals, even spiders. Normally, I'm the one they come to for spider ID, etc.

A (cute) girl from the Horticulture department found a 'tarantula', but let it go. It was 'huge and hairy", according to everyone who saw it. She took a video of it, and I'll be darned if it wasn't an amazing, HUGE female trapdoor. But, of course, she let it go. Just as she should have, though, you know? But darn it, I never saw it! Lots of people have found trapdoors there, but I've found nothing so far!

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Just went out and searched a patch of woods near my house. Nothing but funnel webs and tons of wolf spiders. Tonight my search was cut short by a nearby coyote pack but there's a spot where I think I unknowingly tore apart a purseweb nest a while back and hopefully I'll find something there tomorrow.

A (cute) girl from the Horticulture department found a 'tarantula', but let it go. It was 'huge and hairy", according to everyone who saw it. She took a video of it, and I'll be darned if it wasn't an amazing, HUGE female trapdoor. But, of course, she let it go. Just as she should have, though, you know? But darn it, I never saw it! Lots of people have found trapdoors there, but I've found nothing so far!
Do you have that video? I would really like to see it if is possible? I love trapdoors and really hope to find one soon as well