purpurea death cause?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, was feeding most of the collection last night. and found that my purpurea never took a small prekilled cricket i had put in there a few days prior. opened up the lid- which opens very roughly, comes off kind of like velcro- and started to pick at the crik with tongs. sling just sat there next to cricket and didnt react at all. i thought it was perhaps a upright molt and placed the lid on top and left it overnight. that was about 18h ago. im pretty sure it died for some reason, whether disturbed molt or whatever, im not sure. sub was very dry with a water dish. vent was good, etc. etc.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that - they aren't that common, "seasonal" like fruit.
On my small screen it looks fine. I know you're careful so it isn't something you did.

They aren't any more delicate to raise than others, so don't think you missed something.

Not all are going to make it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i appreciate the responses, thanks guys. it didnt make it, i have no idea why, bad luck i guess..

cold blood

Staff member
I personally believe purpurea are much more delicate than many other avics.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I would concur. I've heard others give similar opinions over the years. Like I said in another post recently, the number of Avic sling death posts is way down compared to years ago but of the half dozen or so that I found last night while looking for them about half were purps. I ordered two purp slings no more than 1/2", one was dead within two days of transit but the other is ok months later.

Sorry to hear Venom1080 :(

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I figure the only thing besides plain old bad luck would be a stray sun beam. I had the blinds open for a plant on the opposite wall, I tried to make sure the rays were far off, and couldn't touch any cages, but maybe it wasn't enough.
:(
Still down about this one..