Purplest Xenesthis species

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Following on from my other thread, I am looking at maybe buying a sp white sling from this genus. I don't have, and am not likely to have a large collection ever, and all my Ts are effectively display ones. So I would like to maximise my chances of getting a beautiful example. I understand that generally the males are more vibrant, and of course getting a sling means it could go either way. But sexual dimorphism aside, and taking into account the genus is still relatively undefined, which species are considered the most beautiful and purple?

I understand the sp white looks a lot like Immanis as an adult, just with slightly whiter legs, so is it fair to assume this species is as good a bet as any (assuming it turns out to be male)?

Can I also ask the lifespan of these Ts for males and females?

Last edited:
Hi
my absolute favourite Xenesthis is Xenesthis sp blue. Bright pink carapace and the blue sheen on the legs are stunning combination.My girl is still growing at only 5.5 -6 inch atm but she is getting prettier with each moult.
Regards Konstantin

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Hi
my absolute favourite Xenesthis is Xenesthis sp blue. Bright pink carapace and the blue sheen on the legs are stunning combination.My girl is still growing at only 5.5 -6 inch atm but she is getting prettier with each moult.
Regards Konstantin
Nice. Do you know whether it's just the legs that differ between the sp blue and sp white?

Hi
I unfortunately an not familiar with the sp White.
But there is a pic of my girl when she was a little smaller.
20210504_125810.jpg
Another option for a dysplay T is Phormictopus sp Dominican purple
Not as pricey and a bit more readily available.
Credit for the pics goes to my girls former owner @The Spider House .
IMG-20210902-WA0001.jpg IMG-20210902-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210902-WA0002.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Beautiful!

Man, I'm finding this genus so confusing. I may hold off until I understand it better/the taxonomy becomes more defined.

Some of the photos online look very shopped, which doesn't help.

Which are the ones with purple legs, e.g. here?

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
if you are interested in the genus i can reccomend "birdspiders.ch" on youtube, he has a few videos about them, it doesn't lift the mystery but gets you a sense of where science is at the moment with these undiscribed species

Hi
Beautiful!

Man, I'm finding this genus so confusing. I may hold off until I understand it better/the taxonomy becomes more defined.

Some of the photos online look very shopped, which doesn't help.

Which are the ones with purple legs, e.g. here?
Hi
I think those bright colours are only observed in mature male specimens or female juveniles that go through different colour morphs and that will eventually outgrow them as they mature.
I am yet to see an adult female that is coloured like that no matter what Xenesthis sp we are talking about.
Regards Konstantin

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Hi

Hi
I think those bright colours are only observed in mature male specimens or female juveniles that go through different colour morphs and that will eventually outgrow them as they mature.
I am yet to see an adult female that is coloured like that no matter what Xenesthis sp we are talking about.
Regards Konstantin
That's my understanding from reading. Although it also appears from scouring pics online that not all MMs get that purple either - some are phenomenally so, some the purple seems pretty subdued, for some reason.