Purplest Ts? Pamphobeteus sp.? insignis? Avicularia Purpurea? ____________?

leviathanfly

Arachnopeon
Dan here - Hi!:geek: I came across some impressive looking photos of highly purple mm Pamphobeteus Ts and I would like to know - what else is out there like this? I have since seen so many common names with the word purple in them and done many google image searches - yet I do not think there can be any comparison I could do better than someone who has these lovelies to compare in person. If you know of any slings that are stunningly purple, please let me know about those, too. xD

Your #:
1.?
2.?
3.?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1) A.purpurea
2) A.purpurea
3) A.purpurea
Can you tell that I absolutely LOVE these guys?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
idk about SLINGS but there are a FEW good lookin purple Ts out there

C. fimbriatus (one of my faves)
A purpurea (as Brett so enthusiastically stated :) )
Phormictopus sp. purple
A. urticans
Certain males of Pampho and Xenethis generas

There are probably more, but cant remember them ALL

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1) A.purpurea
2) A.purpurea
3) A.purpurea
Can you tell that I absolutely LOVE these guys?
I'm SO with ya on that one, Brett! *high-five* :D

P1010962.JPG

As for other purple T's - try Tapinauchineus violaceus...also stunningly beautiful species!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Freshly molted, hm? Since I can see an old skin bottom right? ;)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Freshly molted, hm? Since I can see an old skin bottom right? ;)
Yep. She has much more vibrant hues now after a month or so.IMHO these are some of the most stunning spiders in the hobby,and even better they are AFFORDABLE!!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know you're considered a great source regarding Avics Brett, but I HAVE to ask this:

All the usual purpureas that I've seen never once had those very visible rings between the femur and patella?! That's a first for me. Not even the adults from the breeder I have my slings from showed those.... Not saying it isn't a purpurea, but I'm curious about those rings. I have never once seen that on that species...

EDIT: Forget that, I had to read up on them again and found that they'll start looking like that once of an older age actually. I'm curious though, as those seem to be not much visible on one of those 2 purpurea species (IF they are really own species - I doubt it), but on the other one...oh well. Just forget my question, Brett ;)

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jan,she is OLD.(6+years)She developed that "band'' after her last molt.Until then even at adult size(she is 4.5 inches) she NEVER had those!She came from a reliable source,and I am pretty sure she IS A.purpurea,but I do see what you are saying about her appearance.She just happens to be a colorful one!!!So far all her offspring looks like your regular run of the mill purpurea.I have a few females from her last sack that I am holding back,and she is currently sitting on another sack.

leviathanfly

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

Great input! Thanks so much - I am definitely considering getting a couple Avicularia purpurea! I was wondering - if I were to find a singapore blue that is leaning toward purple - how would that compare to these species? And is Avicularia Purpurea more purple than Avicularia sp. peru purple?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great input! Thanks so much - I am definitely considering getting a couple Avicularia purpurea! I was wondering - if I were to find a singapore blue that is leaning toward purple - how would that compare to these species? And is Avicularia Purpurea more purple than Avicularia sp. peru purple?
If you are going to get one of the purple Avicularia just spring for the purpurea,you will not be disappointed.A.urticans/"Peru Purple" are much larger,heavier bodied spiders,but are cheaper as slings.While still purple,they have nothing on A.purpurea.A.purpurea seems to max out at 5 inches,and is a leaner build,but is SOLID purple vs the urticans or "Peru Purple".Go to the Genus gallery and poke around,you will see what I mean.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer

T.violaceus

A.purpurea( she is a dark girl)
Cant believe i forgot to throw out the Tappie vote.
Cupreus get pretty purple, as do the plumipes (with a gold/bronze/pink luster mixed into the iridescence.)

---------- Post added 08-16-2012 at 07:25 PM ----------

a lot of Poeci have a nice purple hue to them as well (at least the FEMALES do)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chad is the nigerrimum a sp. that shows a lot of purple hues too? Yours certainly does, but i USUALLY see pics of a jet black t with purple carapace (males females that is)

I ask only because i want to know what to hope for:biggrin:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damn Chad. I need to make sure Kelly does not see those pictures tonight.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
also, is that purple found predominantly in YOUNGER specimen?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Jan,she is OLD.(6+years)She developed that "band'' after her last molt.Until then even at adult size(she is 4.5 inches) she NEVER had those!She came from a reliable source,and I am pretty sure she IS A.purpurea,but I do see what you are saying about her appearance.She just happens to be a colorful one!!!So far all her offspring looks like your regular run of the mill purpurea.I have a few females from her last sack that I am holding back,and she is currently sitting on another sack.
Yeah, thanks Brett. I was just kinda bummed and didn't mean any offense at all. On that picture she kinda looked to me like a bicegoi in bad light, hence why I had to read up on the purpureas again. Thanks for clarifying, though! Appreciated! Good luck with her new sac btw ;)

leviathanfly

Arachnopeon
Really appreciate the info! I am probably getting an Avic purpurea anyway, however I am still impressed by the strong purple in the pictures of male Pamphobeteus insignis the true Columbian purple bloom bird eater, and Phormictopus sp. purple is catching my interest as well. Has anyone had the chance to work with all these? Are some purple in most light while others are part time purple - disappearing unless under direct sunlight or LED like my H. lividum?

Tweak

Arachnosquire
I'd just like to throw in that my x.intermedia has very purple legs after this last molt take a look:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345481229.993016.jpg